Linux as an Internet gateway can anyone help

Linux as an Internet gateway can anyone help

Post by phi » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:25:46

I have Redhat installed on one of my systems and have Cable modem what
I would like to do is use my Redhat system as a gateway and provide my
other Linux, Windows 98 and Windows NT systems with internet service
coming directly form my Redhat Server.  I know it can be done can
anyone help or at least point me in the rite direction.

Regards,
Rafael

Yes you can.  Go to www.linuxdoc.org for info on firewalls.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly ignored.

Linux as an Internet gateway can anyone help

Post by Bill Persy » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:36:10

I recently install firestarter on RH 7.1 and have been very happy.
http://firestarter.sourceforge.net  One note, if you are going to be using
FTP, you need to load the ip_nat_ftp, ip_conntrack_ftp modules.

Post by Erik Veenstr » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 04:11:46

> I have Redhat installed on one of my systems and have Cable modem what
> I would like to do is use my Redhat system as a gateway and provide my
> other Linux, Windows 98 and Windows NT systems with internet service
> coming directly form my Redhat Server.  I know it can be done can
> anyone help or at least point me in the rite direction.

> Regards,
> Rafael

http://howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

gegroet,
Erik V.

1. Configuring Linux As Gateway to Internet: Help

Hello and thank you for your help in advance.

I am configuring my Linux 2.0.35 (RedHat pkg) as a gateway to the Internet
for NT Workstations (NT 4.0 build 1381, pack 3). So far, I have not been
able to succeed. In brief, the NT workstation knows to use the Linux system
for DNS services, but a ping (ftp or telnet) to an Internet address fails
with a Request Time Out error.

I am hoping for suggestions on debugging tools at the Linux level. Also
suggestions on which direction to take.

Some details:

1. pppd is running fine on the Linux system. route and ifconfig show me
correct ip addresses.

2. From the Linux system I can ftp and telnet into the address that the NT
system is failing to connect to.

3. From the NT system, route print shows that the default (and only) gateway
is the ip for the Linux system in my local network. I can ping (ftp and
telnet) the linux system from the NT system.

4. The NT system is resolving Domain Names via the Linux system. When I ping
panix2.panix.com, it correctly translates that into the corresponding ip
address. However, a ping still fails. (can anyone explain this?)

5. My kernel was built with the following networking options:

# Networking options
#
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_NET_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_VERBOSE=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y

2. protocals

3. Help using Linux as an internet Gateway

4. HELP: Problem install Sol 9 or Sol 8 on my Ultra 60

5. Linux Internet Gateway concerns: Help!

6. Change order of items in Comtrol Panel?

7. Win computers accessing Internet thru Linux gateway not working, help!

8. isdn4linux and LinuxPPC ?

9. FS: Internet Gateway Server (Departmnetal or Internet Server)

10. - my internet gateway for my local internet is redhat 7 (question fro a newbie)

11. Need help combining 2 PPP connections for LAN gateway to internet

12. Please help- Unable to ping DSL gateway or internet.

13. Help me: Internet gateway crashed