7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by J » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 06:07:23

Hi Folks,

I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
 I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
Red Hat.

I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
diskette.

When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
"How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

thanks in advance.

JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by Joke, Mark en Hen » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:10:50

Hello,

Quote:> I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
>  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> Red Hat.

> I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> diskette.

> When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

Why can't you boot straight from the cd?

-Mark

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by Jason Yate » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:58:35

I guessing you can't boot of the cdroms.  The Redhat disk cdrom 1 should
boot.  Double check and make sure you burned the ISO images correctly.
Make sure in your burning software you choose "Burn Image","Write Image"
or the nearest equivalent.

If you did write the cdroms correctly, you should probably list your
hardware specs.  There is a small chance of a hardware conflict.

-Jason Yates

Quote:> Hi Folks,

> I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
>  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> Red Hat.

> I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> diskette.

> When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the text
> version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language, keyboard, etc
> and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and put the CD I
> burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the "How
> to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> thanks in advance.

> JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by Chri » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:05:23

Did you use CD-RW or CD-R disks? Some CD roms cannot read re-writeable
disks... try using a read only disk

Quote:> Hi Folks,

> I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
>  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> Red Hat.

> I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> diskette.

> When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> thanks in advance.

> JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by J » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:47:21

I tried booting directly from the CD however it is not working.  That
is why I created the boot diskettes.  Also, I burned the CD's to CD-R
disks.

One of the posters suggested that I ensure I am buring in binary (i.e.
image) mode.  I thought I was doing this and will double check this
and respond.

If I understand the documents on how to download Red Hat, I only need
the iso images (disc1 and disc2) images on the CD and possibly the
boot image as well if I want to boot from the CD.  If the iso images
are written to the CD-R correctly, then I assume the boot program
should simply read them from the CD-R during the install, correct?

Thanks in advance.

> Hi Folks,

> I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
>  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> Red Hat.

> I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> diskette.

> When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> thanks in advance.

> JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by S C Rigl » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 01:39:44

If the iso's are burned to the CD correctly, your
cd won't consist of one, big .iso file, but rather
many files and directories.

-S

Quote:>If I understand the documents on how to download Red Hat, I only need
>the iso images (disc1 and disc2) images on the CD and possibly the
>boot image as well if I want to boot from the CD.  If the iso images
>are written to the CD-R correctly, then I assume the boot program
>should simply read them from the CD-R during the install, correct?

>Thanks in advance.

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by Chri » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 05:15:41

Depending on how old your cdrom drive is, you might also try burning
to 640MB discs rather than 700MB discs.  Had that problem with an old
DEC Alpha once.

Regards,
Chris

> I tried booting directly from the CD however it is not working.  That
> is why I created the boot diskettes.  Also, I burned the CD's to CD-R
> disks.

> One of the posters suggested that I ensure I am buring in binary (i.e.
> image) mode.  I thought I was doing this and will double check this
> and respond.

> If I understand the documents on how to download Red Hat, I only need
> the iso images (disc1 and disc2) images on the CD and possibly the
> boot image as well if I want to boot from the CD.  If the iso images
> are written to the CD-R correctly, then I assume the boot program
> should simply read them from the CD-R during the install, correct?

> Thanks in advance.

> > Hi Folks,

> > I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
> >  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> > Red Hat.

> > I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> > diskette.

> > When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> > text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> > keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> > put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> > The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> > I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> > Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> > "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> > thanks in advance.

> > JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by J » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 06:23:57

OK herein lies my problem.  I copied the iso images from the Redhat
site and then simply burned them to a CD-R.

I did'nt see any other instructions to de-construct the iso images to
their component files.  How is that done?  Are these considered zip
files of some sort?

John S

> If the iso's are burned to the CD correctly, your
> cd won't consist of one, big .iso file, but rather
> many files and directories.

> -S

> >If I understand the documents on how to download Red Hat, I only need
> >the iso images (disc1 and disc2) images on the CD and possibly the
> >boot image as well if I want to boot from the CD.  If the iso images
> >are written to the CD-R correctly, then I assume the boot program
> >should simply read them from the CD-R during the install, correct?

> >Thanks in advance.

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by S C Rigl » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 09:58:43

It would depend upon your CD burning software.  In the
past, I've seen the software create an association for
.iso files that I would just need to double-click the
iso and it will then start the process of burning the
cd.

-S

Quote:>OK herein lies my problem.  I copied the iso images from the Redhat
>site and then simply burned them to a CD-R.

>I did'nt see any other instructions to de-construct the iso images to
>their component files.  How is that done?  Are these considered zip
>files of some sort?

>John S

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by J » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 11:49:02

OK I am totally thick skulled. It just dawned on me that the iso image
is actually a disk image that was created by RH using some utility
program to write all of the files into a single .iso image.  What I
need to do, I think, is to set my CD Writing software.  Geez!!!  What
I was doing was simply writing the iso image to the CD-R disk
resulting in a single really large file on each CD ending in .iso  It
did'nt seem right to me but thats what I was doing.  This is the first
time I have tried downloading the software as opposed from installing
it from a purchased CD.

I'm going to try re-burning the CDs and attempt the install again.

Thanks to all for your help.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

John S...

> Depending on how old your cdrom drive is, you might also try burning
> to 640MB discs rather than 700MB discs.  Had that problem with an old
> DEC Alpha once.

> Regards,
> Chris

> > I tried booting directly from the CD however it is not working.  That
> > is why I created the boot diskettes.  Also, I burned the CD's to CD-R
> > disks.

> > One of the posters suggested that I ensure I am buring in binary (i.e.
> > image) mode.  I thought I was doing this and will double check this
> > and respond.

> > If I understand the documents on how to download Red Hat, I only need
> > the iso images (disc1 and disc2) images on the CD and possibly the
> > boot image as well if I want to boot from the CD.  If the iso images
> > are written to the CD-R correctly, then I assume the boot program
> > should simply read them from the CD-R during the install, correct?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > > Hi Folks,

> > > I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
> > >  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> > > Red Hat.

> > > I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> > > diskette.

> > > When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> > > text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> > > keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> > > put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> > > The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> > > I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> > > Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> > > "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> > > thanks in advance.

> > > JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by GlassMa » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 14:54:30

I have the same problem.  I burned an iso copy of both disks, but when I
attempted to do an upgrade, the CD-ROM was not reconized.  However, when I
mounted the CD, everything was there.  I tried a command line option when
booting to make sure that it was looking for /dev/hdd, but that didn't help.

btw - I have an older pc for linux that doesn't boot to the CDROM.  Maybe
one of these days I'll pick up a somewhat newer machine for linux.

Clifford

Quote:> Hi Folks,

> I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
>  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> Red Hat.

> I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> diskette.

> When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> thanks in advance.

> JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by J » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 13:05:31

Thanks to all for responding.

The problem was that I was not burning the CD's correctly.  The .ISO
images are
images that Red Hat burned using a utility that creates them from the
distribution files.  I incorrectly thought that I was supposed to
simply burn
the .iso file onto the CD and that the installer would recognize the
file and
perform the deconstruction of the files directly from the .iso file.

Instead, the correct solution was to tell my CD-burner software that I
wanted to burn the CD with the source data coming from an image file
of the .iso format.

Once doing that, all of the Red Hat 7.2 distribution files appeared
correctly on the burned CD and the install went just fine, including
booting directly from the CD-ROM.

Thanks again everyone.

John S...

> I have the same problem.  I burned an iso copy of both disks, but when I
> attempted to do an upgrade, the CD-ROM was not reconized.  However, when I
> mounted the CD, everything was there.  I tried a command line option when
> booting to make sure that it was looking for /dev/hdd, but that didn't help.

> btw - I have an older pc for linux that doesn't boot to the CDROM.  Maybe
> one of these days I'll pick up a somewhat newer machine for linux.

> Clifford

> > Hi Folks,

> > I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
> >  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> > Red Hat.

> > I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> > diskette.

> > When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> > text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> > keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> > put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> > The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> > I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> > Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> > "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> > thanks in advance.

> > JP Sebastian

7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

Post by Linux G » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:28:24

Dear sir, thank you so much for this awesome post, I too was having
the same problem, exactly the same problem and I believe that if I do
what you posted it should also work for me. Thank you thank you thank
you.. !!!!

Dan

> Thanks to all for responding.

> The problem was that I was not burning the CD's correctly.  The .ISO
> images are
> images that Red Hat burned using a utility that creates them from the
> distribution files.  I incorrectly thought that I was supposed to
> simply burn
> the .iso file onto the CD and that the installer would recognize the
> file and
> perform the deconstruction of the files directly from the .iso file.

> Instead, the correct solution was to tell my CD-burner software that I
> wanted to burn the CD with the source data coming from an image file
> of the .iso format.

> Once doing that, all of the Red Hat 7.2 distribution files appeared
> correctly on the burned CD and the install went just fine, including
> booting directly from the CD-ROM.

> Thanks again everyone.

> John S...

> > I have the same problem.  I burned an iso copy of both disks, but when I
> > attempted to do an upgrade, the CD-ROM was not reconized.  However, when I
> > mounted the CD, everything was there.  I tried a command line option when
> > booting to make sure that it was looking for /dev/hdd, but that didn't help.

> > btw - I have an older pc for linux that doesn't boot to the CDROM.  Maybe
> > one of these days I'll pick up a somewhat newer machine for linux.

> > Clifford

> > > Hi Folks,

> > > I downloaded the ISO images (disc1 and disc2) from one of the mirrors.
> > >  I verified the checksums and they match the published checksums from
> > > Red Hat.

> > > I burned each iso to it's own CD-R disk and then also created a boot
> > > diskette.

> > > When I boot from the diskette, I start the install and go into the
> > > text version.  It asks me a couple of questions like language,
> > > keyboard, etc and then asks where to install from. I choose CD-ROM and
> > > put the CD I burned with the first ISO image into the CD-ROM.

> > > The installer then complains that it cannot locate the Red Hat CD-ROM.

> > > I labeled the CD-s CD1 and CD2 when burning them.

> > > Does anyone have any idea what might be up?  I think I followed the
> > > "How to Download Red Hat Linux" instructions correctly.

> > > thanks in advance.

> > > JP Sebastian

1. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
cannot see the Red Hat system.

I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows Explorer,
either by name or IP address, it is not found.

I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

Bill

2. ATI Video Booster

3. Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install

4. XF86Config for CLGD 5426 et al.

5. Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

6. I'm back! This group has sunk to a new low

7. red hat 7.2 linuxconf cannot be found

8. ipop3d + Razor + spamassassin? Possible?

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Red Hat 3 cant find CD-ROM

11. How to install Red Hat from PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM?

12. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

13. CD-ROM troubles installing Red Hat 4.2