Home Network

Post by Phoenix A » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:45:12

Hi...
First off...I am a complete newbie at this...
I have 3 comps at home, all networked nicely under windows.
I have put RH 7.3 on the main comp, which dual boots with windows XP.
I have 2 other P-II comps running Windows ME.
I use KDE mostly...How can I setup my linux box (which is the main
one) to access the network and see the dirs and files of the other 2
comps and vice versa?
the ip of my main box is 192.168.0.1...the other comp is 192.168.0.2
and so on..
I need detailed instructions please...as I am quite a newbie...
I have tried messing around with LIsa but to no avail :(

Another thing...is it possible to view my NTFS partitions from RH 7.3?
I know I can have read only access, and that is all i want...
Is it difficult to do? Can someone please explain how I can go about
doing that?
I don't know how to recompile my kernel...

my windows c: is hda1...e: is hda5...f: is hda7..
thanks..

***
...And from the ashes shall rise the Phoenix...Aktien-Engesellschaft!

Home Network

Post by Phoenix A » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:34:57

Quote:>Another thing...is it possible to view my NTFS partitions from RH 7.3?
>I know I can have read only access, and that is all i want...
>Is it difficult to do? Can someone please explain how I can go about
>doing that?
>I don't know how to recompile my kernel...

Hi...sorry for replying to my own post...
Some extra information.
I was messing around last night...and I saw that in the KDE control
center, there is this option called "Linux Kernel Configurator" under
the Systems tab...
I went in there and enabled NTFS (read only) support. Then clicked
apply.
It told me to run "make symlinks dep"...
I tried putting the command in a console but it doesn't work...it says
some parameter or option is missing...

Just some extra information, if that helps....

***
...And from the ashes shall rise the Phoenix...Aktien-Engesellschaft!

Home Network

Post by Allen McInto » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:40:53

Quote:>How can I setup my linux box (which is the main
>one) to access the network and see the dirs and files of the other 2
>comps and vice versa?

Samba.

Quote:>Another thing...is it possible to view my NTFS partitions from RH 7.3?

Yes.

Quote:>I know I can have read only access, and that is all i want...
>Is it difficult to do? Can someone please explain how I can go about
>doing that?

To check that it will work:
        mkdir /nt/a
        mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /nt/a

If this works, put a line in /etc/fstab that looks like this so that
the filesystem will appear automagically the next time you boot:

/dev/hda1       /nt/a                     ntfs    ro      0 0

No doubt there is some sort of RedHat GUI to accomplish the same thing...`

Quote:>I don't know how to recompile my kernel...

Unnecessary.

Home Network

Post by Phoenix A » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:04:51

>>How can I setup my linux box (which is the main
>>one) to access the network and see the dirs and files of the other 2
>>comps and vice versa?

>Samba.

I am reading the documentation for samba and trying it out...lets see
if it works out :)

Quote:>To check that it will work:
>    mkdir /nt/a
>    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /nt/a

>If this works, put a line in /etc/fstab that looks like this so that
>the filesystem will appear automagically the next time you boot:

>/dev/hda1       /nt/a                     ntfs    ro      0 0

>No doubt there is some sort of RedHat GUI to accomplish the same thing...`

Ah yes there is a GUI...but the thing is, as I posted in another post,
it doesn't tell me what to do after I select the option.

Btw, I did try mounting my drive this way...it said the kernel does
not support ntfs fs...so I have to enable it in the GUI also..

Below is what I wrote in that post. Can you please help with this?

**Some extra information.
**I was messing around last night...and I saw that in the KDE control
**center, there is this option called "Linux Kernel Configurator"
under
**the Systems tab...
**I went in there and enabled NTFS (read only) support. Then clicked
**apply.
**It told me to run "make symlinks dep"...
**I tried putting the command in a console but it doesn't work...it
says
**some parameter or option is missing...

Thanks a lot! And thanks for replying.

***
...And from the ashes shall rise the Phoenix...Aktien-Engesellschaft!

Home Network

Post by Duane Smecker » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 05:44:10

Samba is great for sharing directories on your linux box, but not very
helpful for browsing windows shares.

I was under the impression that konqueror could browse
a windows share, but I never got it to work and decided I was not
really interested in it enought to pursue.  Let windows come to me.

Duane Smeckert
google me to email.

>>>How can I setup my linux box (which is the main
>>>one) to access the network and see the dirs and files of the other 2
>>>comps and vice versa?

>>Samba.

Home Network

Post by Colon Terminu » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:49:57

If you run into problems with Samba and your Windows shares, lemme know. I
can make it pretty easy for you.

> >>How can I setup my linux box (which is the main
> >>one) to access the network and see the dirs and files of the other 2
> >>comps and vice versa?

> >Samba.

> I am reading the documentation for samba and trying it out...lets see
> if it works out :)

> >To check that it will work:
> > mkdir /nt/a
> > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /nt/a

> >If this works, put a line in /etc/fstab that looks like this so that
> >the filesystem will appear automagically the next time you boot:

> >/dev/hda1       /nt/a                     ntfs    ro      0 0

> >No doubt there is some sort of RedHat GUI to accomplish the same
thing...`

> Ah yes there is a GUI...but the thing is, as I posted in another post,
> it doesn't tell me what to do after I select the option.

> Btw, I did try mounting my drive this way...it said the kernel does
> not support ntfs fs...so I have to enable it in the GUI also..

> Below is what I wrote in that post. Can you please help with this?

> **Some extra information.
> **I was messing around last night...and I saw that in the KDE control
> **center, there is this option called "Linux Kernel Configurator"
> under
> **the Systems tab...
> **I went in there and enabled NTFS (read only) support. Then clicked
> **apply.
> **It told me to run "make symlinks dep"...
> **I tried putting the command in a console but it doesn't work...it
> says
> **some parameter or option is missing...

> Thanks a lot! And thanks for replying.

> ***
> ...And from the ashes shall rise the Phoenix...Aktien-Engesellschaft!

1. Benefits of dual-homed firewall for home network?

I'm upgrading my home server from Redhat 6.1 to SuSE 8.0 mainly so I
can take advantage of the improved packet filtering.  The existing
server uses a fairly standard setup: Dialup ISP, IPCHAINS firewall
from Robert Ziegler's book, Internet sharing among Windows boxes, file
sharing with Samba, Setiathome, not much else.

My security books (Ziegler, Toxen) tell me that the firewall shouldn't
be on the same box as Samba and other important stuff.  Okay, I have
an old Pentium 133 box with 64MB RAM that I've installed SuSE 8.0 on,
and I could use that as a separate firewall box.

Is my understanding of the physical interface correct?
* Modem on serial port to the Internet.
* Ethernet card with "null hub" (reverse) cable to eth1 on the main
server.
* eth0 on the main server to the home network switch.
* Different networks for the firewall box and the main server (e.g.,
192.168.1.1 for the server and 192.168.2.1 for the firewall).

If this is correct, what does it buy me?  I assume the separate
networks improve security, but I'm lost beyond that.  All the diagrams
I've seen for a DMZ show Web servers and stuff off to the side between
the firewall and the rest of the LAN, but this doesn't really apply to
my setup.

Is there any benefit to installing a second machine as a standalone
firewall, or should I just continue with my current setup where the
firewall is on the main server?

TIA for any advice.

Mike

-----
Mike Dodd  (remove 'xspam.' when emailing)

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

2. kernel 2.4.7 (cant format with i=1024?)

3. Networking help for home networking

4. login shell failed ??

5. Setup sendmail for local home-network AND uucp global network

6. User "smtp".

7. Connecting to the @Home network/General network configuration

8. tulip.c: gracefully handle init_ertherdev failure

9. Wireless networking using VPN to access home network

10. @Home Network and Linux Networking

11. Routing Dual-Homed Network to Share Network Resources

12. HELP: Best way to setup SUN and Linux and PC's on home network...

13. Sharing NetZero on home network?