Please help - RH 7.1 inconsistent failures on Armada 1750

Please help - RH 7.1 inconsistent failures on Armada 1750

Post by Dal » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:05:10

Sorry to crosspost, I sent it to the networking group by mistake.

Please bear with me, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I'm trying to install RH 7.1 on this machine and every time I
reinstall it behaves differently.  I have NT4.0 on it, I've
repartitioned with partitionmagic to have a 132mb swap and a 2.9gb
ext2 partition.  The notebook has a built in pad and 2 button mouse,
I've noted the graphics/sound card info.  I set the bios to boot from
the cdrom drive first and I start.

I select the custom install, placing lilo on the first sector of the
ext2 partition (where I start it with the NT loader).  I choose all
packages except the server ones.  The install finishes fine, and then
it goes downhill fairly quickly.

On the reboot, I install the RH rpms for Xconfigurator and
mouseconfig.  GNOME doesn't have any icons on the desktop (this time).
Before that the panel failed due to a segmentation fault.  Prior to
that sawfish was not running, yet it was selected on the GNOME
configuration dialog.

What is the best way to isolate a problem?  should I select a
barebones installation and work from that?  What files could I move to
floppy for review?  It is now so flaky that I would like to get to a
consistent state so that I can solve a problem before I move to
another one.

Would it help to create a separate boot partition as well?  The
swap/ext2 partitions start after the 3gb NTFS partition.

Dale (remove -nospam for email replies)

Please help - RH 7.1 inconsistent failures on Armada 1750

Post by Treyva » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:01:39

There is a kernal upgrade for RH 7.1 make sure you install that update,
(of course it says you should install all previous updates too). I had
lots of similiar RH 7.1 issues until I installed the kernal update. My
system has been fairly stable since then.

Post by Treyva » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:46:37

There is a kernal upgrade for RH 7.1 make sure you install that update,
(of course it says you should install all previous updates too). I had
lots of similiar RH 7.1 issues until I installed the kernal update. My
system has been fairly stable since then.

> Sorry to crosspost, I sent it to the networking group by mistake.

> Please bear with me, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

> I'm trying to install RH 7.1 on this machine and every time I reinstall
> it behaves differently.  I have NT4.0 on it, I've repartitioned with
> partitionmagic to have a 132mb swap and a 2.9gb ext2 partition.  The
> notebook has a built in pad and 2 button mouse, I've noted the
> graphics/sound card info.  I set the bios to boot from the cdrom drive
> first and I start.

> Dale (remove -nospam for email replies)

1. How to install RH 6.1 on Compaq Armada 1750 laptop?

Hi, all.

I've been trying to install RedHat 6.1 on a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop
(just like the subject line says). I looked at the "how-to" page on
the web (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/)

There are two links for the 1750 Armada. Unfortunately, one of them is
dead, and the instructions on the other one seem to be incomplete; at
least, I can't follow them. They're for RedHat 6.0.

The graphics work fine during the install package; RedHat recognizes
the video card no problem. But whether I try to install the Gnome or
the KDE workstation, I can't get it to start in GUI mode, nor can I
get the GUI to run from the command line.

I tried running Xconfigurator after installation; it gives me an error
message that the XF86_Mach64 file is not found. I copied the
XF86_Mach64 file from the CD-ROM to the appropriate directory, but
that didn't help much - Xconfigurator finds the graphics card (ATI 3D
Rage LT Pro AGP-133, X Server = Mach64) but it doesn't detect the
monitor. I've tried using all three of the LCD monitors in the list
(LCD Panel 1024 x 768; LCD Panel 640 x 480; and LCD Panel 800 x 600)
but when it tries to start X, it comes back with the error message
that "There is a problem with your X configuration".

When I hit "quit" and try to run startx (as root), I get the error
message:

"xauth: error in loading shared libraries: libxmu.so.6: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory"

repeated three times and then back to the command prompt. (except the
third error message has "xinit" instead of "xauth")

When I try to run kdm, I get the error message

"kdm: error in loading shared libraries: libx11.so.6: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory"

As I said, the graphics seem to work fine during the installation
procedure; but after the package is installed, it's like the machine
develops amnesia.

Any solutions out there? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Earth Wolfe

(for e-mail replies, remove all the underscores from "aardwolfe" and
remove the ".invalid" at the end)

be checking back with the newsgroup here.

2. OOPS in khttpd, 2.4.4-ac3

3. FreeBSD 5.0 boot problems on Compaq Armada 1750

4. host?where utility

5. Armada 1750

6. Linux for Power PC?

7. Compaq Armada 1750 Soundcard

8. linux or NT Terminal server??

9. XFree86 problem on a Compaq Armada 1750

10. Problems with Xwindows in a TFT LCD (Compaq Armada 1750)

11. Armada 1750 - sound problems

12. Compaq Armada 1750 Refresh Rates for X Windows

13. Installation problems with Compaq Armada 1750