Acessing windows files

Post by Aadilkh » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 04:41:06

i have mounted windows in /mnt/windows dir. i would like to acess
folders like c:\My Documents from linux. how do i do that. please let
me know

Thank you

Aadilkhan

Acessing windows files

Post by WYLT » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 06:32:09

If the directory is mounted, and formatted as FAT32, you should just be able
to access it like any Linux directory or file.  Note that permissions won't
work.  If you are using NTFS as the Windoze file system, you are limited to
read-only.  Windows 95, 98 and ME use FAT32, and Windows NT and 2000 use
NTFS by default.

Quote:> i have mounted windows in /mnt/windows dir. i would like to acess
> folders like c:\My Documents from linux. how do i do that. please let
> me know

> Thank you

> Aadilkhan

Acessing windows files

Post by Charles Sulliva » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:01:04

> i have mounted windows in /mnt/windows dir. i would like to acess
> folders like c:\My Documents from linux. how do i do that. please let me
> know

> Thank you

> Aadilkhan

If there are spaces in the directory or file name, enclose the name in
quotes when referencing, e.g.,
  cd /mnt/windows/"My Documents"
or
  cd "/mnt/windows/My Documents"

Acessing windows files

Post by Ben Kame » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:43:05

Aren't spaces evil??

SPACES ARE EVIL!! EVIL I SAY!!

  :)

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - Fixer of Broken Things

Acessing windows files

Post by war » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:24:36

> > i have mounted windows in /mnt/windows dir. i would like to acess
> > folders like c:\My Documents from linux. how do i do that. please let me
> > know

> > Thank you

> > Aadilkhan

> If there are spaces in the directory or file name, enclose the name in
> quotes when referencing, e.g.,
>   cd /mnt/windows/"My Documents"
> or
>   cd "/mnt/windows/My Documents"

if your FAT32 is created by Win ME/2000/XP, you add an option " -o
uni_xlate=1"
to the mount command. because FAT32 created by ME/2000/XP uses unicode
for file names.

Acessing windows files

You can also use cd /mnt/windows/My\ Documents