Dell Inspiron 8000 - RedHat Linux 9.0

Post by Sober 4 Tod » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:52:44

I cannot get X windows to work on my Dell Inspiron 8000 with Rage
Mobility 128 AGP 4x graphic card and monitor that can do 1400 x 1024
15".  I bought this machine in March 2001 and Dell just don't seem to
know who the manufacturer of the display is or what the horizontal and
verticl refresh rates are when setting up X windows.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Dell Inspiron 8000 - RedHat Linux 9.0

Post by Davi » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:03:54

That's BS.

Rage mobility is ATI so go with that. As to the monitor it can always be set
as generic with low refresh rates. The LCD, start with 60 and go from
there. My dell dell does 100 but who knows?

Quote:> I cannot get X windows to work on my Dell Inspiron 8000 with Rage

Post by Leonard Even » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:43:37

> I cannot get X windows to work on my Dell Inspiron 8000 with Rage
> Mobility 128 AGP 4x graphic card and monitor that can do 1400 x 1024
> 15".  I bought this machine in March 2001 and Dell just don't seem to
> know who the manufacturer of the display is or what the horizontal and
> verticl refresh rates are when setting up X windows.

> How do I do this?

> Thanks in advance.

I had similar problems quite a while back with previous versions of X,
but I can't remember what the solution was.  I believe I posted
something about it and others did also.  You might do a google search to
find out just what to do.

1. Linux Redhat 7.1 on Dell Inspiron 8000

Hello everyone,

I'm what you might call a Linux convert, I've been in the industry
since '82. I've worked on Novell, NT, and am currently a MSCE 2000. So
here's my question... I've just recently bought a Dell Inspiron 8000
(Win ME of course) but have since d/l'd Redhat 7.1. I've got plenty of
books for Linux, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get
the X Window System to function properly. I've been to a few web sites
that tell you how to do it. Well guess what, it seems I'm a
"Pre-Newbie" to this whole OS. How can I do ANYTHING? I know where the
files are located on the web, I've already configured my LAN settings.
All I really would need help with is the commands to get this file
directly downloaded into my laptop, and configured. If there's anyone
out there that could possibly help me with this, it would be greatly
appreciated if not rewarded in some way.

Thank you...

2. timed implementation

3. Problem with RedHat 7.1 & 7.2 X setup on Dell Inspiron 8000+Geforce2 Go+ 1600x1200

4. Help: SS10/2.6, cdrecord & CDR400

5. Problems with Dell Inspiron 8000 / RedHat 7.0 / NVidia GeForce 2 Go

6. Linux on a Mitac 5033

7. Redhat 7.2 on Dell Inspiron 8000 w/GeForce2 Go

8. NIS in SunOs environment

9. Dell Inspiron 8000 & Suse Linux 7.0

10. linux problems on notebook - dell inspiron 8000

11. Dell Inspiron 8000 and Geforce2 GO

12. how to get 1024x768 on Dell Inspiron 8000?

13. pcmcia bombing startup on Dell Inspiron 8000 Notebook