Logrotate issue - won't create files with proper permissions

Logrotate issue - won't create files with proper permissions

Post by t0pp » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:33:54

I am using the latest version of Syslog-NG (syslog-ng 1.6.0rc1) to do
all of my logging from the local system, all of our Cisco PIX
firewalls a Nortel Contivity and a Cisco Concentrator.

I am having the messages sent to a variety of non default files so
that I can monitor certain aspects of each device type.  I have also
created some scripts that so that I can have users check various
aspects of the log files.

The problem is this:  When I add the new file to logrotate.conf and
tell it to "create 0644", it does not do this.  Logrotate does rotate
and compress the file, but it does not create the permissions I told
it to.

The entry is as follows:
/var/log/syslog {
    daily
    create 0644 root root
    rotate 16

Quote:}

If I add the "create" section to a defined log file, such as "secure",
it changes the permissions correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me out.  I would appreciate any
advice you can give.

Thanks
Chris

1. Logrotate won't create new log with proper permissions

[...]

2. Beginner Questions.

3. Simple .java file won't compile - Permission to write .class file denied

4. I'm new to Linux

5. logrotate won't

6. ATI Rage 3D IIC Video card Setup

7. Can I create a file that won't be saved if not closed properly?

8. Insert a character in the beginnig and at the end of each line.

9. What's the proper permission for fdformat?

10. lpr -d ... pk files won't be created automagically!

11. apache 1.2.0 log files won't be created

12. How to setup FTP with proper file permissions ?