I actually got pretty far into this, but can't make a peep come out of the
speakers (I just had a horrible thought - speakers are plugged in and turned
Got ALSA Drivers, utilities, and library files, did standard configure, make,
make install for each.
In a console window under KDE, did the following:
1. insmod soundcore - got nothing back, so I assume that worked.
2. ran the snddevices script - it happily reported making a ton of devices.
3. Edited my etc/modules.conf to the following
alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-es1938
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
4. ran modprobe snd-card-es1938 - got nothing back, so I assume that worked as
5. I tried a couple of the tools available under the "multimedia" option of the
KDE menu - none of them can access the output dev. I tried the chmod, still no
joy. When I run /utils/alsasound start, it reports that the driver is already
running. I postulate that may be so, but would like to confirm my hypothesis by
actually hearing something from the speakers. Any help would be appreciated.