1. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please
I have nfs, nis working correctly. I know this because I can mount my
server /home directory from the client, and also from the client, I can
access the passwd and group files from my nis server. All this is fairly
easy to set up. The problem I cannot resolve at this time is being able
to login to my server's home directories from the client machine. It
logs into the / directory instead. Here is what I know:
There are various packages like autofs and amd to take care of what I
want to do. I am trying to do this with autofs. My setup (yes I posted
several days ago, but the NIS HOWTO doesn't help me with this) is a
Debian server, with a Redhat 7.2 and Solaris 8 client. I have read many
posts about these files:
and various other files. I also have read the AutoFS HOWTO at:
While it contains examples for autofs, I do not understand them fully,
otherwise, I would not be writing this now. My questions are:
If /etc/auto.master contains (according to the auto.master manpage:
does the auto.master file reside on the client, server or both? Also, is
the /home in this referring to the server's /home which I want to mount
on the clients /mnt/home?
I also am not sure what /etc/auto.misc is for, and where it lives, along
with /etc/auto.home. My server's home directories are on my /home
partition and I can see them from my client machines on /mnt/home.
However, I can not figure out how to use autofs to take care of mounting
them when a user logs in. The user must cd /mnt/home, and this is what I
want to automate. I am sorry if my questions annoy anyone. I want to
learn, and once I learn, I can also help other people. Thank you.
2. Process scheduling query
3. Integrating local and NIS mounts on the same auto.home file
4. ASUS K7V KX133 motherboard problems
5. nis auto home mounting
6. Running X-apps remotely
7. NIS + auto.home
8. VIM: Is this a bug of "vim" ?
9. NIS and NFS auto.home
10. How can I auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?
11. How to auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?
12. ssh -R from work to home and ssh from home to work
13. How to configure Solaris to auto-mount NFS /home directories?