I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

Post by Jeff Silverma » Tue, 21 May 2002 08:55:38

I am trying to install StarOffice 5.2 from the Red Hat 7.2 distribution
and it ain't working.  I already found the installation instruction on
Red Hat's site, at http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.2/

Here are two attempts:

glibc version: 2.2.4
  error:  invalid compressed (deflated) data for libone569li.so

libvos1GCC.so:  write error (disk full?).  Continue? (y/n/^C) y

glibc version: 2.2.4
file #0:  bad zipfile offset (can't find local header sig)

writer.bmp:  write error (disk full?).  Continue? (y/n/^C) y

The instructions explicitly say don't run this as root, and actually
running it as root doesn't seem to work either.

Or.... should I bad StarOffice and use Koffice instead?

Many thanks,

Jeff

Post by Davi » Tue, 21 May 2002 10:02:23

> I am trying to install StarOffice 5.2 from the Red Hat 7.2 distribution
> and it ain't working.  I already found the installation instruction on
> Red Hat's site, at http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.2/

[snip]

> The instructions explicitly say don't run this as root, and actually
> running it as root doesn't seem to work either.

> Or.... should I bad StarOffice and use Koffice instead?

I downloaded StarOffice 5.2 from Sun and installed it like this on a
redhat 7.2 system and didn't have any problems at all.

You will need to do the following as "root or "su" to root and install
it by following these steps.

"cd" into the directory where the file is located and do the following.

chown 0.0 so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin
# this makes it owned by root

chmod 755 so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin
# makes it executable

Then install it with this.
./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin  /net

Install it where ever you want it, I will use "/usr/local/office52" for
example purposes. Once you have it installed you may need to change the
path to where you installed it in the next step.

Make a symlink so normal users can use it.

ln -s /usr/local/office52/program/soffice /usr/bin/soffice

The only thing left is to login as a user and run.

soffice

For each user that runs "soffice" for the first time It will
automatically install the user files. Installing it with the /net switch
will save disk space if you are installing on a multi-user system.

--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

1. Having trouble installing RedHat 5.2 on a SCSI

I just got Red Hat 5.2 and am going through the setup.  For some retarded
reason, the install is not as "automatic" as Red Hat insists.

I'm selecting a "Workstation" installation, and everything should be
automatic from there.  Its not.  I started with a DOS partitioned hard
drive.  I used Disk Druid to kill all DOS partitions so that the install
program could have free reign over the hard drive to make whatever
partitions it needed.  It didn't do this.  The system crashed with a panic
and I had to restart.  So after consulting the "Choose Your Own Adventure"
manual I used Disk Druid to partition the hard drive with a Linux Native
primary partition and a Linux Swap swap partition.

Fine.  The install program goes on to format the swap partition.  It does
this, then goes on to start looking for packages to install.  Well,
unfortunately the stupid install forgot to format the main partition it
seems.

If I try to have the install do everything automatically, I get some sort
of device error when it goes to do a SCSI setup.

So what the fork is wrong with this crap?  I can't imagine that I am so
stupid that I've caused the Red Hat install to skip a critical step, which
is to format the damn hard drive before it goes to install packages.

For the record, I've got a Qlogic FAS SCSI adapter which is supported and
shows up in the list of adapters during install.

Thanks in advance for any help the Red Hat guru's can provide.

Don't rub the lamp if you don't want the genie to come out.

                  Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
                   See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
                        [Last web site update: 02/15/99]

2. kill Xsun?

3. Does StarOffice 5.2 work on RH 7.2?

4. Discovering Ultra 5 IP

5. Trouble installing StarOffice 5.2

6. setting DISPLAY for remote login

7. Trouble installing Staroffice 5.2 on FreeBSD 4.4

8. Setting up XFree86 on a NEC Versa M/100TC (C&T 65545)

9. Installing StarOffice 5.2 on RedHat 7.1

10. RedHat 5.2 Install.. What am I doing wrong?

11. after upgrading redhat 5.2 => 7.2 no console login?

12. Trouble with install of RedHat 7.2...

13. RedHat Linux 5.2 Troubling Installing on Dell 466/T