adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

Post by Michael Labowic » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:19:24



has anybody gotten the latest version of adobe acrobat reader 5.06 to
work on red hat 8?  It installs fine for me, but whenever i try to run
it, i get an error that has something to do with me missing some fonts...

thanks
mike

 
 
 

adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

Post by Michael Labowic » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:27:15



> has anybody gotten the latest version of adobe acrobat reader 5.06 to
> work on red hat 8?  It installs fine for me, but whenever i try to run
> it, i get an error that has something to do with me missing some fonts...

> thanks
> mike

this is the message that i get :

Warning: charset "UTF-8" not supported, using "ISO8859-1"
aborted

what does this mean??

 
 
 

adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

Post by Michael Labowic » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:42:23



> has anybody gotten the latest version of adobe acrobat reader 5.06 to
> work on red hat 8?  It installs fine for me, but whenever i try to run
> it, i get an error that has something to do with me missing some fonts...

> thanks
> mike

ok i feel like an idiot but in case anybody else has this problem, this
was in the red hat 8 release notes:

"Certain third party applications, such as the Adobe(R) Acrobat
Reader(R), may not function correctly (or crash upon startup) because
they lack support for Unicode locales. Until third party developers
provide such support in their products, you may work around this issue
by setting the LANG environment variable at the shell prompt to C prior
to typing the application name. For example:

        env LANG=C acroread
"

 
 
 

adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

Post by Terrio Echave » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:01:24




>> has anybody gotten the latest version of adobe acrobat reader 5.06 to
>> work on red hat 8?  It installs fine for me, but whenever i try to run
>> it, i get an error that has something to do with me missing some fonts...

>> thanks
>> mike

> ok i feel like an idiot but in case anybody else has this problem, this
> was in the red hat 8 release notes:

> "Certain third party applications, such as the Adobe(R) Acrobat
> Reader(R), may not function correctly (or crash upon startup) because
> they lack support for Unicode locales. Until third party developers
> provide such support in their products, you may work around this issue
> by setting the LANG environment variable at the shell prompt to C prior
> to typing the application name. For example:

>        env LANG=C acroread
> "

Using the shell bash
$ LANG=C acroread

What I did was make a bash shell program using gedit and entered
LANG=C acroread .  Next $ chmod +x Acroread
                         $ mkdir ~/bin
                         $ mv Acroread ~/bin

Now when I entered
$ Acroread

acroread started up perfectly.

 
 
 

adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

Post by Steve Johns » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 05:09:04


Here's how to make Acrobat 5.0.6 work in Redhat 8

Install Acrobat Reader as instructed.

Edit /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread. It's a shell script file so any
text editor should work.

Add a "LANG=C" line near the top of the file so it looks something
like this:

   ver=5.0.6
   install_dir=/usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader
   LANG=C
   #

It should now work.

 
 
 

adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

Post by Michael Labowic » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:48:36



> Here's how to make Acrobat 5.0.6 work in Redhat 8

> Install Acrobat Reader as instructed.

> Edit /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread. It's a shell script file so any
> text editor should work.

> Add a "LANG=C" line near the top of the file so it looks something
> like this:

>    ver=5.0.6
>    install_dir=/usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader
>    LANG=C
>    #

> It should now work.

thanks, that looks like it could work :)