shutting down stops at "System Halted", doesn't turn off system

shutting down stops at "System Halted", doesn't turn off system

Post by C » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:32:46

I recently installed RH 7.3, and I use KDE 3. Whenever I try to shut
down the computer, it stops at "System halted" without actually
turning off the system. It used to fully shut off on its own, but it
stops just short of that now, and I don't think I changed any system
setting that would do this. How do I make it completely shut down like
it used to?

shutting down stops at "System Halted", doesn't turn off system

Post by Drew McBe » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:43:27

I think you need to make sure "power saver " ( is that API or...ASPI
support??? ) in your bios, so the bios can kill the power. Don't quote me on
this. I usually just turn the power off myself instead...

                                -D

Quote:> I recently installed RH 7.3, and I use KDE 3. Whenever I try to shut
> down the computer, it stops at "System halted" without actually
> turning off the system. It used to fully shut off on its own, but it
> stops just short of that now, and I don't think I changed any system
> setting that would do this. How do I make it completely shut down like
> it used to?

1. Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all systems: Why/how to turn off?

Solaris: Shutting down one system generates messages on all
systems: Why/how to turn off?

When one machine in our network executes the shutdown command, messages are
displayed on all the machines saying the machine is about to be rebooted
(which is not true on those other machines).  I'm guessing that this is
caused by the fact that the other machines have NFS-mounted drives on the
machine that is going down.

Is this right?  And, is there a way to turn this "feature" off?

2. HELP!! Think we've been broken into

3. Power Down on "Halt" doesn't happen

4. Utilities wanted

5. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

6. How to use an aliased IP address

7. "Interrupted system call" at "low level" - system calls

8. Hanging modem?? Help needed.

9. RedHat 5.2, "/boot/System.map" and "/boot/System.map"

10. system stop at "initializing system services" after compiling Kernel

11. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

12. File System is full, but "df" doesn't agree...