nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

Post by CheeGr » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 01:33:09

I'm a Major Newbie at Linux, and God knows I feel I've tried
everything so far. I've installed the Latest Drivers from nVidia
(RPM). I've gone through several other resources to get the
XF86Config-4 file configured correctly. It's been a week now and I
still haven't gotten the damn thing to work other than "Vesa" support.

Here's what I got:

Dell Inspiron 8000
nVidia GeForce 2 Go 32mb

If there's any one kind enough out there that could help me I'd be
more than greatful.

P.S. I also upgraded to the latest kernel...

"No one is listening until you fart."

CheeGro

nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

Post by Tom Hoffman » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:29:05

> I'm a Major Newbie at Linux, and God knows I feel I've tried everything
> so far. I've installed the Latest Drivers from nVidia (RPM). I've gone
> through several other resources to get the XF86Config-4 file configured
> correctly. It's been a week now and I still haven't gotten the damn
> thing to work other than "Vesa" support.

> Here's what I got:

> Dell Inspiron 8000
> nVidia GeForce 2 Go 32mb

> If there's any one kind enough out there that could help me I'd be more
> than greatful.

> P.S. I also upgraded to the latest kernel...

This card is not difficult to get working on the Dell Inspiron 8000s ...
even at 1600x1200. Don't you hate me saying that after you've struggled
for a week? The Nvidia install documentation is above average and includes
some troubleshooting hints. Did you read it ... carefully?

A few questions:
1) did you install from source or the RPMs? Did the installs work? How do
you know? Did you install *both* the kernel package and the glx package,
in that order? Were they a matched set, i.e., ?
2) do you get any errors in your /var/log/XFree86.o.log file when you
start X? Look for the (EE) entries. If you have some, post them here. They
can be very instructive and can confirm whether or not your install really
was successful.
3) did you comment out the 'Load dri' statement from the "Module" section
of your XF86Config-4 file as specified in the install documentation?
4) did you change the 'Driver nv' statement to 'Driver nvidia' in the
"Device" section as specified in the install documentation?
5) what monitor and what adapter options did you take when you installed
RH7.3?
6) what kernel ... "latest" kernel is ambiguous ... latest stable or
latest development?

nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

Post by CheeGr » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:48:23

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:29:05 GMT, Tom Hoffmann

>This card is not difficult to get working on the Dell Inspiron 8000s ...
>even at 1600x1200. Don't you hate me saying that after you've struggled
>for a week?

YES :)

Quote:>The Nvidia install documentation is above average and includes
>some troubleshooting hints. Did you read it ... carefully?
Yes...
>A few questions:
>1) did you install from source or the RPMs? Did the installs work? How do
>you know? Did you install *both* the kernel package and the glx package,
>in that order? Were they a matched set, i.e., ?

RPM's kernel first then GLX, when that didn't work I even tried SRC,
that only confused me even more, simply put the "make Install" command
did not work (I'm an Idiot at this I guess, but I do READ the
Manual/Docs/Instructions)

Quote:>2) do you get any errors in your /var/log/XFree86.o.log file when you
>start X? Look for the (EE) entries. If you have some, post them here. They
>can be very instructive and can confirm whether or not your install really
>was successful.

Will post them when I get a chance... (switched back to vesa)

Quote:>3) did you comment out the 'Load dri' statement from the "Module" section
>of your XF86Config-4 file as specified in the install documentation?

Yes, just like the DOC said....

Quote:>4) did you change the 'Driver nv' statement to 'Driver nvidia' in the
>"Device" section as specified in the install documentation?

Once again, yes did that....

Quote:>5) what monitor and what adapter options did you take when you installed
>RH7.3?

Had to go with the only thing that worked...
"Unprobed monitor" then selected the Default (High 16bit and a res of
1024x768... this was the only option that seemed to work and is stable
so far. Although I do get an odd screen display when X starts, but
once X loads the freaky display comes back alright.

Quote:>6) what kernel ... "latest" kernel is ambiguous ... latest stable or
>latest development?

Hmmm... Once I got 7.3 working on the web and all got the full updates
from Red Hat....which by that I mean I have... 2.4.18-5 let me know if
that helps.

Thank you very much for responding, it really is very much
appreciated.

Now a small question to you, since I believe I've installed the RPM's
correctly, and in the right order, and haven't had any luck with any
of the XF86Config-4 configurations that are out there (nVidia Site...
Dell Site <- sux for Linux info.... etc..) explaining how to get this
card to function properly. Is it possible for you to perhaps clue me
in as to where a "good"  XF86Config-4 file might be? & would this be
my only problem? <- sorry make that 2 questions...

"No one is listening until you fart."

CheeGro

nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

Post by Dick Kistle » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:33:33

Quote:> I'm a Major Newbie at Linux, and God knows I feel I've tried
> everything so far. I've installed the Latest Drivers from nVidia
> (RPM). I've gone through several other resources to get the
> XF86Config-4 file configured correctly. It's been a week now and I
> still haven't gotten the damn thing to work other than "Vesa" support.

> Here's what I got:

> Dell Inspiron 8000
> nVidia GeForce 2 Go 32mb

> If there's any one kind enough out there that could help me I'd be
> more than greatful.

> P.S. I also upgraded to the latest kernel...

> "No one is listening until you fart."

> CheeGro

I haven't tried to get an Inspiron 8000 and an nVidia GeForce 2 Go to work,
but I have some experience with nVidia drivers.

You should compile the driver from source(either src.rpm or tar.gz). The
driver needs to be compiled for your kernel, and the info nVidia gives is
not enough to determine which kernel their binaries are compiled for. When
you upgraded your kernel, you probably made the rpm's useless. You also may
have to download the kernel sources and headers if you haven't.

Download the readme(it's also in the tar.gz files) and print it out. There
is a ton of info about the driver, glx, and how to debug any problem you
have. I learned this the hard way(like everything else I learn).

Dick Kistler

nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

Post by CheeGr » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:12:28

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:33:33 GMT, "Dick Kistler"

>> I'm a Major Newbie at Linux, and God knows I feel I've tried
>> everything so far. I've installed the Latest Drivers from nVidia
>> (RPM). I've gone through several other resources to get the
>> XF86Config-4 file configured correctly. It's been a week now and I
>> still haven't gotten the damn thing to work other than "Vesa" support.

>> Here's what I got:

>> Dell Inspiron 8000
>> nVidia GeForce 2 Go 32mb

>> If there's any one kind enough out there that could help me I'd be
>> more than greatful.

>> P.S. I also upgraded to the latest kernel...

>> "No one is listening until you fart."

>> CheeGro

>I haven't tried to get an Inspiron 8000 and an nVidia GeForce 2 Go to work,
>but I have some experience with nVidia drivers.

>You should compile the driver from source(either src.rpm or tar.gz). The
>driver needs to be compiled for your kernel, and the info nVidia gives is
>not enough to determine which kernel their binaries are compiled for. When
>you upgraded your kernel, you probably made the rpm's useless. You also may
>have to download the kernel sources and headers if you haven't.

>Download the readme(it's also in the tar.gz files) and print it out. There
>is a ton of info about the driver, glx, and how to debug any problem you
>have. I learned this the hard way(like everything else I learn).

>Dick Kistler

Thanks D. Kistler, I appreciate the info...
Why src/tar and not rpm's? rpm's usless, you lost me here.
I've read the ton of info about the driver, the problem is that more
than half of the doc explains running Quake or the like, and not
specifically on getting the card/drivers to function correctly (maybe
I'm missing something), I'll recheck this again.....

"No one is listening until you fart."

CheeGro

nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

Post by unemployed ner » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:19:16

Being relatively new to the ways of Redhat driver support in linux,
but experienced with this particular nvidia driver problem,
I must ask the question:

Why isn't the Nvidia driver support for the gforce2go
distributed with RedHat 7.3?

I can understand 7.2, I don't think the driver was available
for 7.2.  Will 7.4 (if there ever is one), or 8.0 RH distributions
contain appropriate driver support?

Of course it'd also be nice if I didn't have to run my Dell 8100
laptop with "ide=nodma".  Doesn't promote great faith in
linux hardware support, and the system is much slower with this option.

nVidia GeForce 2 Go & RH 7.3

Post by Bryce Kenned » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:49:35

The driver isn't in 7.3 because that's the way Nvidia wants it. And yea I
had to go back to 7.2 because the dma thing made my system slow in games
and large apps.

--

1. Nvidia Geforce 2 mx200 on Suse 7.3 crash during system shutdown

Hi,

I installed a Nvidia Gforce2 MX200 into my linux box running Suse 7.3.
I downloaded the glx and NVdriver rpms for Suse, installed and configured
them and the system boots cleanly, the kernel driver loads ok. GLX loads
ok. I get good 3d peformance (simple test running ssystem). However, when
I try and shutdown or reboot the system, the screen is scrambled and the
system hangs requiring a hard reset.

I can login and out of X (kde) many times. It's only when I shutdown or
restart the X server that the machine hangs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom

2. Generate Client Certificate

3. diamond rio 300 not working under RH 7.3 & RH 8

4. Convert Word-DOC to PostScript

5. LinuxConf gone in RH 7.3?

6. Emacs - same me

7. Problems with Dell Inspiron 8000 / RedHat 7.0 / NVidia GeForce 2 Go

8. Help !! capture script output from the script...

9. X config file Nvidia Geforce 2 go on Toshiba Sattelite 280x - 500/S402

10. xfree nvidia geforce 4 420 go

11. X WIndows resolution on Dell Inspiron 8100 with NVidia Geforce 2 Go

12. nVidia Geforce 2 MX 400 and RH 7.0

13. RH Linux 7.1 and nVidia GeForce 2