Red Hat 7.3 boot After Installation; GRUB Hard Disk Error Message

Red Hat 7.3 boot After Installation; GRUB Hard Disk Error Message

Post by hummi.. » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 01:24:16

Hi!

I have a standard P4 system with two IDE drives, a primary master and
a primary slave, which are both dedicated to Windows XP.  In addition,
I have an Adaptec 3940UW SCSI controller with two drives attached, one
is ID 1 and the other is ID 0.  I control the SCSI drive selection for
booting through the card's BIOS.  SCSI drive 0 boots normally with the
OS that is on it.  I installed LINUX on SCSI drive 1, and set the SCSI
card's BIOS to boot from drive 1.  LINUX installes fine, and I put the
GRUB boot loader on the boot sector of SCSI drive 1.  LINUX installed
fine, with a /boot, /, and swap partition.  When the system restarts,
I get the following error:

GRUB Hard Disk Error

and the system won't boot.  It works fine with the boot floppy, but
it's a real pain to use it all the time, and it's much faster loading
when booting fro a hard drive.  In addition, I eliminated all my
drives from the system, except SCSI drive 1; reinstalled LINUX and put
GRUB on the MBR.  Same error.  HELP!!!!

Any ideas as to what's causing the error?

Thanks

Larry

Red Hat 7.3 boot After Installation; GRUB Hard Disk Error Message

Post by Brett E. Dufaul » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 14:27:59

[...snip...]

Quote:> When the system restarts, I get the following error:

> GRUB Hard Disk Error

> and the system won't boot.

[...snip...]

Here's what the GRUB manual says about "Hard Disk Error":

(From: http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_node/Stage1-errors.html)

        Hard Disk Error
        The stage2 or stage1.5 is being read from a hard disk, and the
        attempt to determine the size and geometry of the hard disk failed.

Now, what to do about it?  I took a peek at GRUB's Stage 1 code that
generates this message, and the way GRUB's checking the geometry is via an
Interrupt 0x13 call to the BIOS.  I don't have anything as sweet as the
3940UW, but I've got an older Adaptec card in one of my machines.  If you
jump into the Adaptec setup screen at boot time, take a look and see if
there's an option named something like "BIOS Support for Int 13h
Extensions", and see if it's disabled right now.  If it's disabled, try
enabling it and see if that makes GRUB happy.

Cheers!
--Brett

1. Red Hat 7.3 boot After Installation; GRUB Hard Disk Error Message

[...]

2. scrollback, how to view boot messages after login

3. How to remove Grub in Red Hat 7.3?

4. Can ping/traceroute but not telnet/ftp using DIP (SLIP or PPP) on 1.2.8 from Slakware

5. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

6. Visualage C 5.0 problems

7. Windows Hard Drive to Show Up In Red Hat 7.3?

8. troubleshooting signal 7?

9. Boot failed message with RED Hat boot disk !

10. Problem with Red hat linux 7.3 installation

11. Red Hat 7.3 : Anaconda : Can it fix or reduce installations?

12. Red hat 7.3 Disappear after installation

13. Problem with Red hat linux 7.3 installation