Errors Rotating Logs.. Please Help!

Post by Ranyart Oli » Tue, 15 May 2001 00:03:03

I am getting the following error on Redhat7:

errors occured while rotating /var/log/messages {

failed to rename /var/log/messages to /var/log/messages.1: Operation
not permitted
error: error creating /var/log/messages: Operation not permitted

my messages file is owned and grouped to root.
The file has RW access for user only.

Can anyone tell me why this might not be working?

1. Help: Errors Rotating Logs

Hi.

I have inherited a machine running RedHat 6.2.  Once a week, I receive email
messages concerning errors rotating logs for secure, messages, wtmp, and
xferlog.  The other logs such as cron do not seem to exhibit any problems.
I've searched the newsgroups but have found nothing that has helped.  I've
even tried--as root--stopping the syslog process and manually rotating the
particular log files but I get "operation not permitted" errors.  For
example, if I were to "ln messages messages.1" while syslog wasn't running,
I'd get the following message:
"ln: cannot create hard link `messages.1' to `messages': Operation not
permitted"

Below is a sample email message.

==begin email message==
Subject: errors rotating logs

errors occured while rotating /var/log/secure

failed to rename /var/log/secure to /var/log/secure.1: Operation not
permitted
error: error creating /var/log/secure: Permission denied
==end email message==

What could be causing this?  How do I rectify the situation?  The
permissions on the var directory are drwxr-xr-x.  The log directory
permissions are drwxr-xr-x. The permissions on the log files themselves are
-rw-------.  The directories and the files belong to root:root.

Thanks.

2. Blocking /dev/dsp on 2.2.9 ?

3. Log rotating errors

4. Wierd Caldera Open Linux behaviour.

5. XDM problem: "errors rotating logs"

6. Sun SE3000 SCSI storage not reliable using QFS

7. error rotating logs

8. Unix Xircom Drivers!

9. Errors rotating logs??

10. errors occured when rotating /var/log/

11. Errors Rotating Logs Mail Message

12. IPChains quits logging when logs rotate

13. apache log directory, restarting server after rotating logs.