Unable to telnet into Linux box

Post by S C Rigl » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:04:30

Can you verify that port 23 is open on the Linux machine?

netstat -tln

If not then enable telnet in xinetd:

chkconfig telnet on

-S

>Hi Listers,

>This is the second mail on the above subject.
>In my brother's office he has installed PCQLinux(based on RH 7.1) in his
>office.

>The system configuration is as follows:

>Pentium 600 Celeron processor, 64 MB RAM, 10 GB HDD and D-Link DE-528
>Ethernet PC card.

>Windows NT server is accessed by  5 clients. In one of the clients having
>win95
>PCQ LInux is installed(dual boot)
>The problem is from win 95 clients nobody is able to access the linux box
>through
>telnet. From other win 95 clients he is able to ping the linux box with zero
>packet loss.

>In PCQ Linux firewall is being enabled by default. In PCQ magazine it is
>said
>that it can be disabled by the command lokkit. He has used that command and
>given no firewall.  Firewall is disabling the eth0 by default. So, He has
>also removed ipchains in the system.

>But still he is not able to use Telnet from other Windows clients to access
>this linux box.

>There is no entry in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.

>Please help.

>Srikanth
>Trivandrum

1. Unable to telnet a Linux Box from a Windows 2000 Server

Hi guys!

I just setup a new Red HAt Linux 7.1 box at home and I created a small
network with a crossover cable to my Windows 2000 box. I have assigned
a private address to my Linux box, 172.25.25.25 and 172.25.25.26  for
my Win box.

I was able to ping both these machines, I was able to telnet my Win
machine but for whatever reason I cannot telnet the linux machine on
any port. I can telent the Linux machine from the linux terminal so
the telnet process is actually working. I know telnet is listening,
httpd is listening and some other port like 22 is open. I even scanned
the linux box and I saw the ports open.
I've tried PUTTY as well, didn't work. When using telnet from Windows,
the message returned was: Connecting to 172.25.25.25......  Could not
open a connection to host on port 23.. Connect failed.

The Windows box is connected to the inernet and has 2 NICs. No routing
service is working.
In short, the only communication between the two boxes is ping at this
moment.

Thanks for reading,
hopefully you can give me a hint..

Tavi

2. HELP for Masquerade

3. Unable to telnet to linux box.

4. fdisk sources

5. Unable to telnet into linux box

6. Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.

7. Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

8. Emulator for Sparc SunOs Binaries ?

9. Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box

10. Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

11. Cannot telnet into linux box (From WFWG to Linux Box)

12. HELP - Unable to telnet into box via internet

13. secure telnet from dos box to linux box