change the Window Manager on RH8.0

Post by joh » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:17:03

Hello ,
How can I changet the Window Manager on RH8.0  ?

I am not talkming about changing the desktop environment
from KDE to GNOME (or vice versa) but of the Window Manager.

I had tried through the menus but couldn't find an answer.

regards,
qwe john.

change the Window Manager on RH8.0

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:00:14

Quote:> Hello ,
> How can I changet the Window Manager on RH8.0  ?

> I am not talkming about changing the desktop environment
> from KDE to GNOME (or vice versa) but of the Window Manager.

> I had tried through the menus but couldn't find an answer.

> regards,
> qwe john.

Typically you can change this on the GUI login screen.  For example, select
WindowMaker and login.

ken k

change the Window Manager on RH8.0

Post by KC1D » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:58:51

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:00:14 GMT, "Kenneth A Kauffman"

>> Hello ,
>> How can I changet the Window Manager on RH8.0  ?

>> I am not talkming about changing the desktop environment
>> from KDE to GNOME (or vice versa) but of the Window Manager.

>> I had tried through the menus but couldn't find an answer.

>> regards,
>> qwe john.

>Typically you can change this on the GUI login screen.  For example, select
>WindowMaker and login.

>ken k

Hi ken k,

What if the only two that show up on the Graphical login list are
gnome and kde.. how do we add the others.. would like to try ICE but
can figure out how to add it to the login options.

thanks,
dave

Post by Vwake » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:13:26

 >>> How can I changet the Window Manager on RH8.0  ?
 >>
 >>Typically you can change this on the GUI login screen.  For example,
 >>select WindowMaker and login.
 >
 >What if the only two that show up on the Graphical login list are
 >gnome and kde.. how do we add the others.. would like to try ICE but
 >can figure out how to add it to the login options.

Just find the RH RPM for the respective WM and install it. The rpm
*usually* takes care of the patching all the needed scripts. If you dont
have the RH rpm and choose to go the tarball way, then take a look at
the following scripts.

If you use GDM, whatever scripts you find here with exe permissions
appear on the sessions menu,

/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/

Then, scripts here will point to this

/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

and where everything is controlled.

If you want to use enlightenment, then this link has RH8/9 rpms.

http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html

GL

Post by Vwake » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:17:07

 >What if the only two that show up on the Graphical login list are
 >gnome and kde.. how do we add the others.. would like to try ICE but
 >can figure out how to add it to the login options.

Also, check out the following thread.

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:19:24 -0500
Subject: Window manager
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.redhat

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:15:54

>  >>> How can I changet the Window Manager on RH8.0  ?

>  >>Typically you can change this on the GUI login screen.  For example,
>  >>select WindowMaker and login.

>  >What if the only two that show up on the Graphical login list are
>  >gnome and kde.. how do we add the others.. would like to try ICE but
>  >can figure out how to add it to the login options.

> Just find the RH RPM for the respective WM and install it. The rpm
> *usually* takes care of the patching all the needed scripts. If you dont
> have the RH rpm and choose to go the tarball way, then take a look at
> the following scripts.

> If you use GDM, whatever scripts you find here with exe permissions
> appear on the sessions menu,

> /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/

> Then, scripts here will point to this

> /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

> and where everything is controlled.

> If you want to use enlightenment, then this link has RH8/9 rpms.

> http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html

> GL

yeah. what he said.

ken k :)

Post by Vwake » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:36:12

 >> If you want to use enlightenment, then this link has RH8/9 rpms.
 >>
 >> http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html
 >
 >yeah. what he said.

I am sorry. I didnt understand?

change the Window Manager on RH8.0

Post by KC1D » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:18:25

snip
>If you want to use enlightenment, then this link has RH8/9 rpms.

>http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html

>GL

Hi GL

I downloaded and gave E a try.. Like it but can't figure out how to
start many of my programs in it.. other than to use a Xterm -- is
there somewhere on the net.. if so my searching has not found it yet.
That explains how to set up Icons or menu items to lauch programs?

It's very fast at loading on my 8.0 box

Thanks for any Help,
dave

Post by Vwake » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:29:02

 >>If you want to use enlightenment, then this link has RH8/9 rpms.
 >>
 >>http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html
 >
 >I downloaded and gave E a try.. Like it but can't figure out how to
 >start many of my programs in it.. other than to use a Xterm -- is
 >there somewhere on the net.. if so my searching has not found it yet.
 >That explains how to set up Icons or menu items to lauch programs?

Hi dave, I dont use E anymore, but when I used it for the short period
of time, I found the docs that come with it good enough.

http://www.enlightenment.org/pages/docs.html

However, not sure how to set up icons either.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2001/11/4/9326

 >It's very fast at loading on my 8.0 box

You might find blackbox/fluxbox faster :)

GL,
V.