fat16 mount ?

Post by ali farh » Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:24:45

hi all
i want ask another question :)
how can i mount and see ( copy , delete files ) fat16 drives (in my
win98) ?  , are any program in linux for this work ? or any how-to in
web ?
thx
alfa

fat16 mount ?

Post by Mike Mcclai » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 04:02:00

Howdy,
'man mount'
From my /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda1     /c               msdos   defaults,ro     0 0
Please note that you must create /c directory. Note too that
it's mounted read only. It's risky to edit or delete one OS's
files from another OS. It's safe to copy into the active OS
space, but risky to copy to another OS's disk space.
G'luck,
MiKe

 a(f> hi all
 a(f> i want ask another question :)
 a(f> how can i mount and see ( copy , delete files ) fat16 drives (in my
 a(f> win98) ?  , are any program in linux for this work ? or any how-to in
 a(f> web ?
 a(f> thx
 a(f> alfa

fat16 mount ?

Post by Doug Patterso » Sat, 05 May 2001 07:40:59

Being a newbie I don't know what not to do, but the following works for me.
Assume that this is your second hard drive and you want it to appear in
Linux with the name drive2. Type this at the shell command prompt:

        mount -t msdos /dev/hdd1 /mnt/drive2

Please note the spaces. Also, '/mnt' is a mount point where it is common to
mount all "other" drives, like CD-ROM, etc.

Also, you can log in as root and use the LinuxConfig utility from the Gnome
System menu. It would be best to have a reference book nearby when doing
this.

Another posted responded saying that it is "risky to edit or delete one OS's
files from another OS. It's safe to copy into the active OS space, but risky
to copy to another OS's disk space." I don't agree _entirely_ with that, but
you should avoid opening or moving files created in Windows when you are in
Linux. The file naming systems are very different. However, I create files
in Linux and save them to a FAT16 drive all the time, and never have
trouble. I just keep my Linux work in a separate directory from the Windows
stuff so they don't get mixed up.

Doug

> Howdy,
> 'man mount'
> From my /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hda1     /c               msdos   defaults,ro     0 0
> Please note that you must create /c directory. Note too that
> it's mounted read only. It's risky to edit or delete one OS's
> files from another OS. It's safe to copy into the active OS
> space, but risky to copy to another OS's disk space.
> G'luck,
> MiKe

>  a(f> hi all
>  a(f> i want ask another question :)
>  a(f> how can i mount and see ( copy , delete files ) fat16 drives (in my
>  a(f> win98) ?  , are any program in linux for this work ? or any how-to
in
>  a(f> web ?
>  a(f> thx
>  a(f> alfa

1. FAT16, mounting NTFS, and linux

Need some help mounting my NTFS partition.

I have this configuration:

hda1   FAT16
hda2   NTFS
hdb1   linux

I am booting off the FAT16 for win95 and winNT.
The NTFS partition is an extended partition for
winNT.  The ntfs option was compiled into a 2.2.10
kernel.  When I tried to mount the drive I
recieved a comment about the partition being an
extended partition and asked if I wish to mount
it.  I have no idea how to give the command flags
to mount an extended partition that is NTFS
formated.  Nor did I see any comments on how to
handle it.  I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Rucker

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. DSL with PPPoE

3. Mounting FAT16 filesystem in extended DOS Partition

4. XF86-3.3.1 MACH64 server still doesn't work.

5. fstab mounting FAT16 FS's ro - want rw

6. Q: Tabbed xterm for Solaris ?

7. How do I mount a fat16 disk with no disklabel

8. Anybody able to read a QIC tape written by Sun on Linux (DAT too)

9. Can't mount fat16 partition

10. Cannot mount FAT16 partition

11. problems mounting fat16 partition

12. Is it safe to write to FAT16 partitions mounted as vfat ?

13. Mount error on W98 FAT16 disk