dual boot windows Me and RH 7.1 using system commander 2000

dual boot windows Me and RH 7.1 using system commander 2000

Post by Sathish Bala » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:30:15

Q1-
I managed to successfully install WindowsME and RH7.1 using system commander
2000 to partition and in providing
dual boot capabilities . This is not a linux question but more towards
sc2000 . I went into os wizard to install a new os ,
i had 3 partitions defined 40G , 10G ,10G . i chose swap size of 512M and
checked new in sc2000 , it created the
swap partition in another partition not dedicated to linux . I wanted
everything on the 10G partition .
I want to know if it is because of the check box that  i checked or does it
do this default .

Q2 -
During Linux install , i could see the windows partition when i chose to
partition using disk druid . I removed them .
I lost all the files on the C: drive . Is it because i deleted the partition
during linux install .

Q3 -
When i am in linux can i look at my windows me drive by mounting the
partition ?

--
Sathish B

Post by Kevin M. Wilc » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:14:46

> Q1-
> I managed to successfully install WindowsME and RH7.1 using system commander
> 2000 to partition and in providing
> dual boot capabilities . This is not a linux question but more towards
> sc2000 . I went into os wizard to install a new os ,
> i had 3 partitions defined 40G , 10G ,10G . i chose swap size of 512M and
> checked new in sc2000 , it created the
> swap partition in another partition not dedicated to linux . I wanted
> everything on the 10G partition .
> I want to know if it is because of the check box that  i checked or does it
> do this default .

> Q2 -
> During Linux install , i could see the windows partition when i chose to
> partition using disk druid . I removed them .
> I lost all the files on the C: drive . Is it because i deleted the partition
> during linux install .

> Q3 -
> When i am in linux can i look at my windows me drive by mounting the
> partition ?

> --
> Sathish B

well, as to part one, I can't answer intelligently....never used system
commander....as to #2, yes, disk druid will allow you to edit the actual
geometry of your hard drive, so you *can* remove *any* partition on
there, including windows partitions...if you removed it with disk druid,
then yes, you deleted it during install.....and as for 3, yep, sure can!
if you gave it a mount point during install (I call mine /win98) then it
can be mounted automatically at boot up.....if you did not make a mount
point, then  "man mount" should provide you with the right steps to make
a mount point for it in fstab and/or mtab so that all you ahve to do is
type cd /whatever_you_call_the_windows_partition and voila!

kw>

dual boot windows Me and RH 7.1 using system commander 2000

Post by Alan Kamrowski » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 04:01:09

Sathish,

You might want to try Partition Boot Manager available for a 30-day
free trial at my website:

http://www.sadevelopment.com

Thanks!

Alan

1. FYI: System Commander 2000 & Red Hat Linux 7.1

I had to call Red Hat technical support during my installation of
Red Hat Linux 7.1. They refused to help me as long as I had System
Commander installed on the disk I was installing Linux on.

- Dorsey

--
Dorsey Drane
--------

2. Find Hardware Installed

3. Dual boot : RH Linux 7.2 and Windows 2000

4. Sun HCL

5. Dual Boot Windows 2000 - BestLinux 2000

6. list of ISPs that support Linux?

7. Red Hat 7.0 Boot Problems with System Commander 2000

8. Are Addtron Ethernet cards supported?

9. Problem booting RH 7.1 using NT boot loader

10. Installing System Commander on a preconfigured dual-boot system ?

11. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

12. Dual Win2K/RH 7.1 Linux booting problems

13. RH 7.1/W98 Dual boot & D-Link wireless router