Help with samba and XP box

Post by rock » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 10:58:39

Hello,

I have a XP MShome network going and am tyring to get a Linux box hooked
up to it.
My network is called MShome.

I am very new to Linux especially com line and are using the GUI front end.

I have samba installed on the Linux box  but cannot see where I can
configure it using the GUi interface. Everything I read gives the
command line codes.

Will the Linux box actually show up in win explore in the MShome network
area?

Also do I need to install a samba patch to my XP box that while not the
server as such is the internet gateway to cable.

Can someone either show me what I should do or point me to some web
pages if they are available with this explicit info. I have found a few
with google but they are not precise enough for me and I have spent
hours already trying dif things.

Thanks a mil.

rock

Help with samba and XP box

Post by Linu » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:51:04

Quote:> I have samba installed on the Linux box  but cannot see where I can
> configure it using the GUi interface. Everything I read gives the
> command line codes.

that's the best and most flexible way to configure :-) but sometimes it's
tough enough..
i think there are lots of GUI to configure samba, just try to search (i.e. i
heard of GtkSamba http://www.open-systems.com/gtksamba.html maybe it will
help you)

Quote:> Will the Linux box actually show up in win explore in the MShome network
> area?

yes it will be visible, unless you configure it not to..

Quote:> Also do I need to install a samba patch to my XP box that while not the
> server as such is the internet gateway to cable.

hm.. for what purposes? (in most cases you don't need anything else, besides
configuring samba itself)

Quote:> Can someone either show me what I should do or point me to some web
> pages if they are available with this explicit info.

try searching http://tldp.org for samba howto..

1. SAMBA problem: can't access Linux box from XP

Hi, there,

I have 2 machines ( running Linux Red Hat 8.0 and Windows Xp individually),
which share a broadband Internet connection through a router.

After installing Samba 2.2.7.a on Linux machine, I can use "smbclient" to
access Windows machines, see the files and transfer files.

But from Windows machine, I can only see the Linux machine under "My Network
Place" --> MSHOME (workgroup). After I double click the icon, it reported:
    "\\Winny is not accessable. ...
        No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the
remote system."

Under Windows machine,
    1. I can ping the Linux machine using either IP or machine name.
    2. Using "net view" command, the Linux machine appears on the list.

I suspect that there is someting wrong with authenicating Windows user on
Linux machine. But I don't know how to diagnostic this problem.

Could you give me any suggestion?

Thanks ahead!

Michael

2. KDE 3 & USB Modem

3. Samba SHare <--- long delays on XP Box

4. C-Shell Script core dump

5. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

6. Trans-Ameritech CD

7. Pls help: Failed to ping bw XP and RedHat 7.2 boxes

8. NFS-install: can't unmount cdrom

9. Samba - XP problem - appreciate the help!

10. samba help RH 8 & XP

11. SAMBA + wIN xp ( Help Needed )

12. Samba, can't browse from Win 98 box to Linux box...

13. w95 box to RH5.2 box : samba stuff