help setting up win95/rh7.1 (server) network.

help setting up win95/rh7.1 (server) network.

Post by Jeff Skeit » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:57:03

ok, i'm new to linux.  i want to program in php from a windows
environment.  that
means i want to network a lan (a small one! ;-) with a win 95 client and
a linux server.

ok, i installed rh 7.1 (server) no problem.  i chose dhcp so it can auto
detect the win 95 ip.  ok, dhcp is overkill for thiskind of set up, but
i don't know how to configure the ip of the win 95 box so autodetect
will have some value.

ok, on to my current road block.  i can't get the eth0 to work right.
i'ver searched
the net like crazy and i find lots of instructions to network a linux
box as a cable
connection firewall.  i try to follow those instructions but no such
luck.

i'm using the gnome network configuration tool...

Under Names:

Hostname: localhost.localdomain (default)
Domain: dbserver (i entered this)

i've read a bit about the hostname and domain.  however, i'm not sure
how it applies
to my 2 box network.  can i just make up any name?

Under Hosts:

IP ; Name ; Nickname
127.0.0.1 ; localhost.localdomain ; localhost
192.168.1.1 ; dbserver.net ; dbserver

again, i'm a bit confused on the name and nickname for my set up.

Under Interfaces

Interface ; IP ; Proto ; atboot ; active
lo ; 127.0.0.1 ; none ; yes ; active
eth0 ; 192.168.1.1 ; bootp (should this be set to DHCP?) ; inactive
my netmask is set to 255.255.255.0
my broadcast is set to 198.168.1.255
activate at boot is set to yes.

eth0 was set to active, but when i restarted the network settings it
could not find
figure out the eth0 settings and automatically switched it to inactive.

so, am i missing something small or something pretty big here?

any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Help setting up network card on laptop with RH7.2

I have a Gateway2000 Solo 9100 with 3Com 3CXFE575CT pc card NIC.  I've
installed Red Hat 7.2 on this system and need help in getting the networking
to work.  I'm a newbie, and don't know where to start.

2nd question:  How to I use the cd-rom?  I try mounting it (mount
/dev/cdrom) and it returns:  "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block
device".

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Using OS/2's Boot Manager with Linux.

3. Help: Setting up Linux for Win95 / Dos network.

4. IPX bridging

5. Help needed setting up Win95 client to Linux server using pap

6. telnet emulation configuration

7. network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

8. Please help with egrep question

9. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

10. APM, UPS and network servers

11. RH7.3 Setting up Router/Firewall/Dhcp server

12. RH7.0 -> RH7.1 upgrade kills networking

13. UPS - software driver for the APC Smart UPS - 600 (Please HELP )