red hat linux 9 panic during install on walmart $200 machine

red hat linux 9 panic during install on walmart $200 machine

Post by Average » Wed, 28 May 2003 11:21:03

i've been running red hat linux 8 on my walmart $200 machine
with no trouble for a while now.  i decided to install red hat 9
on it and had a repeatable kernel panic during the install cd (#1) boot.
i have not seen this posted before so i thought i'd send out
a mention.
if anyone else is seen this or knows what to do please post.

tks
agg

here's the kernel panic info i wrote down:

oops: 0003
cpu 0
eip 0060:[<c01143eb>] not tainted
eflags:  10206
emp is at (2.4.20-6BOOT)
eax 1,  ebx 1000,  ecx 1, edx c0000000,
esi 163, edi c0105000, ebp 4e0000, esp c0289fd8
ds 68, es 68, ss 68
process swapper (pid: 0, stackpage = c0289000)
stack: c028ff96, c0000000  15e  4b9
c02902d1  0  59800  c028a601  c02a6f00  c010018c
code: 88 0a 31 c0 c3 56 53 bb 00 a0 28 c0 81 fb 00 40 2a c0 73 4f
<0> kernel panic: attempted to kill the idle task
in idle task - not syncing

red hat linux 9 panic during install on walmart $200 machine

Post by j.. » Thu, 29 May 2003 15:50:43

I seem to recall having a simular kernel panic on an older machine of
mine.  The problem turned out to be bad memory.  I suggest you
download and run <a href="http://www.memtest86.com/">MemTest86</a> on
that machine.

Post by Andrew Gideo » Fri, 30 May 2003 00:29:09

> I seem to recall having a simular kernel panic on an older machine of
> mine.  The problem turned out to be bad memory.  I suggest you
> download and run <a href="http://www.memtest86.com/">MemTest86</a> on
> that machine.

I too recommend memtest86.  It helped me locate a problem on a laptop I own.
However, I think that this problem is different.

>> i've been running red hat linux 8 on my walmart $200 machine
>> with no trouble for a while now.  i decided to install red hat 9
>> on it and had a repeatable kernel panic during the install cd (#1) boot.
>> i have not seen this posted before so i thought i'd send out
>> a mention.
>> if anyone else is seen this or knows what to do please post.

>> tks
>> agg

[...]

I believe that you're experiencing precisely the problem I describe in a
different thread.  See what's reached Dejagoogle via:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=pan.2003.0...

However, the likely cause of the problem may be found in:

with my response (mentioning RH9) in:

which have not yet reached the archive.

        - Andrew

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. cad email

3. Red Hat 4.2 Kernel Panic during install

4. is neptune any good?

5. New to Linux - COMPAQ Prosignia - PANIC installing Linux Red Hat 5.0

6. BOGO HELP

7. SB16 & CR-503b

8. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

9. Removing Linux-PAM from a Red Hat installed machine

10. "Mount failed" during Red Hat install of MkLinux - help!

11. red hat, debian, slackware reboot during install