Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

Post by Tren » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 10:50:23

Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
My OS is RedHat 7.2
I have looked around for solutions. But there is nothing conclusively
talking about fixing this problem.
How i can fix this problem?

Thank you.

Trent

Post by Kosh Vade » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 11:13:32

Quote:>================================================================
>Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

>Fatal server error:
>could not open default font 'fixed'
>My OS is RedHat 7.2
>I have looked around for solutions. But there is nothing conclusively
>talking about fixing this problem.
>How i can fix this problem?

Your X Font Server, "xfs", is not running.  Use "pidof xfs" to verify.
If this command returns with nothing, that indeed is the case.

If so, first try doing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start".  Does it say
"[  OK  ]", or "[FAILED]"?  If it says the former, verify it's running
by doing "pidof xfs" again.  This should return a single value if in
fact it is running.  If it does, to starting X again (startx).

If all of this fails, post again, and we'll investigate the cause.

Chris

Quote:>Thank you.

>Trent

Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

Post by Tren » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:20:21

First of all, thank you for your reply, Chris.

Starting XFS server failed. Then I took extreme measures. I
reinstalled XFree86-xfs-4.1.0.3,XFree86-4.1.0.3, XFree86-100dpi-fonts,
XFree86-75dpi-fonts.
I still got the Fatal Server Error: could not open default font
'fixed'. However, I can still run Xconfigurator to test the X
settings. It showed X window fine. Rebooting and starting X again
still had the same error as above.

Thank you.

Trent