Internet Sharing

Post by Scott D. Davi » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:58:55

Quote:> Would anyone know how to enable internet connection sharing on a RH7.2
> machine?

If you want to have a server setup, then you can do RH7.2 with NAT and
IPTables.

If you want to have clients only I would suggest WIN2K for your total newbie
experience.

If you are going the linux route do a full replication on this news group
then do a search on:
1) iptables
2) ipchains
3) masq
4) rc.firewall

They will cover all you need to know and point you to further doco that will
take you even further into the void.  Basically its all here, you just need
to know how to find it.  Search here, and read, it will make sense after a
while.

If you are that new, linux may not be for you yet.  I suggest if that is the
case you goto the linux documentation project and look up the old NET3 (it
changed names now?) or basic networking HOWTO.  This wil give you the basics
you need to really see if you want to continuse down this road.

Bottom line here is that linux is one of the best OS'es out there, however,
it requires a commitment on your part to learn.  NOTE: All of what you asked
is in this news group.

Good hunting.
Scott

Internet Sharing

Post by Rhys » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:19:30

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your comments.

I will be sticking with Linux, I have got a RH7.2 server running with Samba,
Squid and Apache, with no problems, (in other words I'm not a complete
Brainless*head!)

Coming form windows, Linux Just has a lot of different ways of doing things,

From Answers from you guys, I have learned how to do almost all what I have
Asked

I am sorry if I come accross as a person with no knowledge

Thanks Again

Rhys

Quote:> > Would anyone know how to enable internet connection sharing on a RH7.2
> > machine?

> If you want to have a server setup, then you can do RH7.2 with NAT and
> IPTables.

> If you want to have clients only I would suggest WIN2K for your total
newbie
> experience.

> If you are going the linux route do a full replication on this news group
> then do a search on:
> 1) iptables
> 2) ipchains
> 3) masq
> 4) rc.firewall

> They will cover all you need to know and point you to further doco that
will
> take you even further into the void.  Basically its all here, you just
need
> to know how to find it.  Search here, and read, it will make sense after a
> while.

> If you are that new, linux may not be for you yet.  I suggest if that is
the
> case you goto the linux documentation project and look up the old NET3 (it
> changed names now?) or basic networking HOWTO.  This wil give you the
basics
> you need to really see if you want to continuse down this road.

> Bottom line here is that linux is one of the best OS'es out there,
however,
> it requires a commitment on your part to learn.  NOTE: All of what you
asked
> is in this news group.

> Good hunting.
> Scott

Internet Sharing

Post by JPerri » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 00:53:13

> Hello,

> Would anyone know how to enable internet connection sharing on a RH7.2
> machine?

> Thanks Heaps

> Rhys

Try this site:
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/eznetshare.html

It gives some pretty general instructions on how to do this (It's what I
used when I first configured a gateway).  Use Pmfirewall with ipchains,
or gshield with iptables.  There's quite a bit out there on this subject.

JP

Internet Sharing

Post by Vandensteen Geer » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:30:57

check out 'shorewall' on sourceforge.net
it takes a couple of inputfiles, and generates iptable rules based on
that...
works really great. I set up routing between 2 subnets, plus internet
access for those subnets in no time...

"Rhys (Gallamda)" schreef:

Quote:

> Hello,

> Would anyone know how to enable internet connection sharing on a RH7.2
> machine?

> Thanks Heaps

> Rhys

1. Win2K/RH 8 Network Share + Internet Share

Scott Tribble enlightened us with:

Google for 'samba' (file & printer sharing) and 'iptables' (firewall &
connection sharing). Also make sure you visit http://www.tldp.org/

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

2. pwd.db Hosed! (More than once)

3. Help with sharing internet sharing on my win2k box

4. ps and pdf plugins for Linux

5. Linux internet sharing and VPN network

6. Random "`" under X?

7. Internet Share via Bluetooth

8. set hostname on SunOS 5.8?

9. Update to the internet share via linux senario (A easy solution):

10. W98 - RH6.1 Internet Sharing

11. Telnet server and Internet sharing.

12. Internet Sharing

13. internet sharing, Windows ME - Red Hat Linux