Nvidia dual head boards

Nvidia dual head boards

Post by Keith Clar » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:42:15



I'm building a new system, coming from a Matrox G400 currently (which has
rather poor GL performance).

I want to play games under Windows 2000, and be able to use all the
dual-head features and hardware GL support in Linux.

I heard there were some cards that did some or all of these things but I'm
having trouble finding one that really stands out (since the reviews I'm
finding are Windows-centric).

The nVidia website shows a GeForce Ti 4400/4600, that on paper looks like
it will fit the bill. It's been out for a year which I guess is good since
there should be stable driver for it.

Any opinions / better suggestions? I'd like to stay around $200 or under for a
card...as long as it has great performance and looks good.

What about the "banding" issues I'm hearing about with some high end card
/ motherboard combinations? Any known gotcha's?

Thanks in advance...

 
 
 

Nvidia dual head boards

Post by J.O. Ah » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:36:09



> I'm building a new system, coming from a Matrox G400 currently (which has
> rather poor GL performance).

> I want to play games under Windows 2000, and be able to use all the
> dual-head features and hardware GL support in Linux.

> I heard there were some cards that did some or all of these things but I'm
> having trouble finding one that really stands out (since the reviews I'm
> finding are Windows-centric).

IMHO nVidia based cards are what to use for linux, the official nVidia drivers
from nVidia (not the one tha comes default with XFree86) preformes better on
linux than on microsoft windows. The driver does support all excisting TNT and
GeForce card out at the moment. The only problem can be video-in options, as
the support in V4L is quite limited and most cards with video-in seems to use
more or less "noname" chips for that.
Of course the nVidia driver supports TwinView, most people uses this option
for thier tv-out, the configuration is quite similare for monitor+tv-out as
for monitor+monitor.

  //Aho

 
 
 

Nvidia dual head boards

Post by Keith Clar » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:38:24




> > I'm building a new system, coming from a Matrox G400 currently (which has
> > rather poor GL performance).

> > I want to play games under Windows 2000, and be able to use all the
> > dual-head features and hardware GL support in Linux.

> > I heard there were some cards that did some or all of these things but I'm
> > having trouble finding one that really stands out (since the reviews I'm
> > finding are Windows-centric).

> IMHO nVidia based cards are what to use for linux, the official nVidia drivers
> from nVidia (not the one tha comes default with XFree86) preformes better on
> linux than on microsoft windows. The driver does support all excisting TNT and
> GeForce card out at the moment. The only problem can be video-in options, as
> the support in V4L is quite limited and most cards with video-in seems to use
> more or less "noname" chips for that.
> Of course the nVidia driver supports TwinView, most people uses this option
> for thier tv-out, the configuration is quite similare for monitor+tv-out as
> for monitor+monitor.

>   //Aho

Great, thanks for the feedback! There's a (Creative) GeForce 256 DDR card in the
RedHat 9 box in my cubicle at work. I installed the nVidia driver on it and the
performance difference was amazing. I haven't had Windows on that machine for over
a year so it's hard to compare but I do remember that Unreal Tournament 2003
played very well under Win2K (it won't even load on my Matrox G400 Max at home).

I assume that the cards like the Ti4200/4400/4600 are even better than the GeForce
256, yes? Anyway, I can get an MSI made Ti4200 based card locally for about a
hundred bucks so it seems like the way to go compared to a new Matrox card (the
new P650 runs about $225 and I hear their 3D still isn't that great). I only play
games occasionally, but I do like to be able to... Tux Racer kicks *on the
GeForce 256... :->

You mentioned "Twinview". Is this a driver or the hardware architecture itself?
The PDF file on their site seems to indicate that it's the hardware architecture
itself and only on "GeForce2 MX" and "Quadro2 MXR" cards.
http://www.veryComputer.com/

What about configuring xinerama in XF86Config? I can read the manpage and hack it
by hand but I've gotten spoiled by the Matrox Powerdesk. Does nVidia provide a
simple utility (text or GUI ) for configuring twinview features?

If you know of a web page that describes this stuff better, just point me at
it...save yourself the hassle of typing it. ;->

Are they picky about motherboards? I'm planning on using an Asus P4-P800 Deluxe
board (Intel i845PE Springdale chipset).

Anyway thanks again for the feedback and any more info...

Keith

 
 
 

Nvidia dual head boards

Post by J.O. Ah » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:07:30





>>>I'm building a new system, coming from a Matrox G400 currently (which has
>>>rather poor GL performance).
>>>I want to play games under Windows 2000, and be able to use all the
>>>dual-head features and hardware GL support in Linux.
>>IMHO nVidia based cards are what to use for linux, the official nVidia drivers
>>from nVidia (not the one tha comes default with XFree86) preformes better on
>>linux than on microsoft windows. The driver does support all excisting TNT and
>>GeForce card out at the moment. The only problem can be video-in options, as
>>the support in V4L is quite limited and most cards with video-in seems to use
>>more or less "noname" chips for that.
>>Of course the nVidia driver supports TwinView, most people uses this option
>>for thier tv-out, the configuration is quite similare for monitor+tv-out as
>>for monitor+monitor.
> Great, thanks for the feedback! There's a (Creative) GeForce 256 DDR card in the
> RedHat 9 box in my cubicle at work. I installed the nVidia driver on it and the
> performance difference was amazing. I haven't had Windows on that machine for over
> a year so it's hard to compare but I do remember that Unreal Tournament 2003
> played very well under Win2K (it won't even load on my Matrox G400 Max at home).

Toms hardware did a test with the drivers last year. I think it still is quite
valide, as Linux does have quite good support for opengl, while microsoft
windows don't.

Quote:> I assume that the cards like the Ti4200/4400/4600 are even better than the GeForce
> 256, yes? Anyway, I can get an MSI made Ti4200 based card locally for about a
> hundred bucks

Yeah, more preformance with the 4x00 cards, but the FX cards except the 5800
has lower preformance than the 4x00, according Toms tests.

Quote:> so it seems like the way to go compared to a new Matrox card (the
> new P650 runs about $225 and I hear their 3D still isn't that great).

Matrox is mainly making 2D cards, don't think they ever will join the 3D
battle, there we will keep on seeing nVidia vs ATI at least a couple of more
years.

Quote:> I only play games occasionally, but I do like to be able to... Tux Racer kicks

 > *on the GeForce 256... :->

I don't play much myself, just Quake3 with the UrbanTerror2 mod (who wnats to
play CounterStrike when there is the original game and native for linux?).

Quote:> You mentioned "Twinview". Is this a driver or the hardware architecture itself?
> The PDF file on their site seems to indicate that it's the hardware architecture
> itself and only on "GeForce2 MX" and "Quadro2 MXR" cards.
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Twinview is the nVidia name for Dualhead (two output connectors, like
monitor/tv-out). I haf twinview on my ASUS TNT card, so it's not limited to
GF2MX nor Q2MXR.

Quote:> What about configuring xinerama in XF86Config? I can read the manpage and hack it
> by hand but I've gotten spoiled by the Matrox Powerdesk. Does nVidia provide a
> simple utility (text or GUI ) for configuring twinview features?

I have xinerama enabled, I know some people have had issue with this, if I
remember things right, there is an option for the nVidia driver to turn this
feature off.
nVidia don't provide any such tools, but there are some thrid party software
that does this for you, but sadly don't remeber names (myself I do edit by
"hand"), but you should be able to find those if you go to freshmeat.net and
search for projects that include the word nvidia.

Quote:> If you know of a web page that describes this stuff better, just point me at
> it...save yourself the hassle of typing it. ;->

Oh, I have seen some pages in my days, none of them have been good in my
opinion, got help from some guy on a forum that is no more, so I guess I'll
include part of my config here:

Section "Device"
        Identifier   "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
         Driver       "nvidia"
Option "NvAgp" "1"
Option "TwinView" "TRUE"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT,TV"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
Option "MetaModes"
"1280x1024,NULL;1152x864,NULL;1024x768,NULL;800x600,NULL;640x480,NULL;320x200,NULL;NULL,800x600;NULL,640x480"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
Option "TVOverScan" "1.0"
         VendorName   "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
         BoardName    "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"

         #BusID
BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

NvAgp = type of agp driver to use
TwinView = enable/disable with TRUE/FALSE
ConnectedMonitor = type of monitors that is connected to the card
MetaModes = the resolutions to use, you can changes with
[Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Numpad +] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Numpad -]
TVStandard = what tv standard to use (NTSC = US/Japan, PAL-x rest of the world).
TVOverScan = the smaller value, the more black border you will have on tv-out

The BusID ain't important to use, didn't have that line for a really long time
and everything worked fine, just added it while I was trying to resolve a
problem I got with XF86 (the whole problem was caused by the new glibc).

Quote:> Are they picky about motherboards? I'm planning on using an Asus P4-P800 Deluxe
> board (Intel i845PE Springdale chipset).

Not that picky, there are a couple of boards that have some problems, think
it's mainly SiS and KT133 boards that has an issue with the driver, but there
are suggestions how to get around the problem in the nVidia pdf (can be
downloaded from the same page as the driver).
I think you can use AGPx8 on that MB, if your new graphics card does support that.

Quote:> Anyway thanks again for the feedback and any more info...

no problem, it's nice to be to help for someone.

  //Aho

 
 
 

Nvidia dual head boards

Post by Keith Clar » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:39:34



> > Anyway thanks again for the feedback and any more info...

> no problem, it's nice to be to help for someone.

>   //Aho

That was a huge help. Thanks again. :->

Keith