RedHat 9 and RealPlayer8

Post by Matthew Walk » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:26:08

When I try to start RealPlayer8 in Redhat9 It says Segmentation Fault.
 I am using i386.  Does anyone know how to fix this.

RedHat 9 and RealPlayer8

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:00:07

Quote:> When I try to start RealPlayer8 in Redhat9 It says Segmentation Fault.
>  I am using i386.  Does anyone know how to fix this.

Did you use the RPM or compile?  I would suggest compiling it from source.
If it will not compile, its not supported on that platform.  From the Real
site:

"NOTICE: RealNetworks has provided this software at the request of customers
in the UNIX community. In addition, RealNetworks does not guarantee
functionality, maintenance, upgrades, fixes, or suitability for any purpose.
This software is not formally supported by RealNetworks. However, a special
public forum has been provided by RealNetworks to give users of these
products a place to share their thoughts and experiences. We encourage you
to use this forum for this purpose. "

http://realforum.real.com/cgi-bin/unixplayer/wwwthreads.pl

ken k

RedHat 9 and RealPlayer8

Post by Mauria » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:14:39

> When I try to start RealPlayer8 in Redhat9 It says Segmentation Fault.
>  I am using i386.  Does anyone know how to fix this.

Redhat 9 uses a new threading library: NPTL. RealPlayer8 will not work
with the NPTL. Open a terminal and run:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

then run: realplay

 From the Redhat9 release notes:

+---------

        If an application does not work properly with NPTL, it can be run
        using the old LinuxThreads implementation by setting the
        following environment variable:

        LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=<kernel-version>

        The following versions are available:

        - 2.4.1 - Linuxthreads with floating stacks

        - 2.2.5 - Linuxthreads without floating stacks

        NPTL support for all dynamically-linked applications can be
        disabled by using the following boot-time option:

        nosysinfo

/usr/share/doc/redhat-release-9/RELEASE-NOTES-i386
+---------

--

Mauriat
----------------------------

RedHat 9 and RealPlayer8

Post by Lynn S. Week » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:47:20

> When I try to start RealPlayer8 in Redhat9 It says Segmentation Fault.
>  I am using i386.  Does anyone know how to fix this.

I didn't have segfaulting, just no functional result:  The RealPlayer
"screen" came up, the status bar was filled with diagonal lines at
irregular intervals, sort of like a video readout of random noise and
there is sat.....

I uninstalled the current versions of the Community Supported Player or
whatever the *nix version is called and installed the RealPlayer 8 rpms
from RH 7.3 based.  The address I got the files from is not the same one
that I am providing you!!!!!!!  It is, however, the one that I can
*find* and was the primary source for these files in the news thread I
dug up on Google.  The site I got them from was a second location that
was provided when the primary was offline for a while but was also a RH
7.3 repository.  I checked the primary site from the thread before I
copied the address to make sure it's working.  It did that time, best of
luck when you try. (-;  Sorry the intro is ten times the size of the URL!

<http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/319335/idpa/319335>

Lynn