Setting IP of my linux without reboot

Post by Michele Piccio » Wed, 15 May 2002 23:21:23

Hi All..
I'm a newbie... so I beg your pardon if my question sound silly.

I'd like to manually set up the IP of my linux RedHat 7.2 system
without having to reboot every time.
Now I just use netconf.. set it manually and then reboot.

Thanks.

Post by James Knot » Thu, 16 May 2002 01:24:49

> Hi All..
> I'm a newbie... so I beg your pardon if my question sound silly.

> I'd like to manually set up the IP of my linux RedHat 7.2 system
> without having to reboot every time.
> Now I just use netconf.. set it manually and then reboot.

> Thanks.

ifconfig

--

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.

james.knott.

Post by Allen McInto » Thu, 16 May 2002 02:05:20

>> I'd like to manually set up the IP of my linux RedHat 7.2 system
>> without having to reboot every time.
>ifconfig

If you don't want to deal with the mysteries of ifconfig, the following
scheme works.  Substitute interface name for eth0.

        ifdown eth0
        <edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0>
        ifup eth0

Setting IP of my linux without reboot

Post by Vic Hargrav » Thu, 16 May 2002 02:50:53

Run netcfg (Network configurator) as root.  Click on the "Interfaces"
tab.  In this screen you will see a list of all network interfaces.
Double click on the one you want to modify which will produce a dialog
for that interface in which you enter IP information.  Click on the
"Done" when you are finished.  At the "Interfaces" panel click on the
"Activate" button then the "Save" button and quit.

-- vic

> Hi All..
> I'm a newbie... so I beg your pardon if my question sound silly.

> I'd like to manually set up the IP of my linux RedHat 7.2 system
> without having to reboot every time.
> Now I just use netconf.. set it manually and then reboot.

> Thanks.

Setting IP of my linux without reboot

Post by Matt Shelt » Thu, 16 May 2002 06:22:12

It doesn't matter how you change it.  Use netconf or do it manually or
whatever but instead of rebooting just type '/etc/init.d/network
restart' and your new IP address should be loaded correctly.

Matt Shelton