Newbie sendmail configuration

Post by R Fause » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:49:45

After upgrading to 8.0 sendmail no longer works.  Currently sendmail is
sending to localhost.domain.com.  How do I change this to just domain.com?

Post by hadesA » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:23:46

> After upgrading to 8.0 sendmail no longer works.  Currently sendmail is
> sending to localhost.domain.com.  How do I change this to just domain.com?

If you have webmin installed, use that to configure sendmail.

Else, 'man sendmail' and start reading ;)

--
hades

Post by Bit Twiste » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:27:26

> After upgrading to 8.0 sendmail no longer works.  Currently sendmail is
> sending to localhost.domain.com.  How do I change this to just domain.com?

I'll bet you have not looked in /etc/mail made your changes
to sendmail.mc and used it to create sendmail.cf.

Doubt your webadmin will help unless it knows about the sendmail 8 changes.

Newbie sendmail configuration

Post by R Fause » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 01:57:29

I have read the man page and I added define( `SMART_HOST', `domain.com') to sendmail.mc
and ran m4 /etc/mail/sendmail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/senmail.cf.

Post by Bit Twiste » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:47:06

> I have read the man page and I added

define( `SMART_HOST', `domain.com') to sendmail.mc
                             ^

I had to put my isp's mail server full name here.
Smart host is a host who can route MX addressed records.
I'm impressed you have registered the domain.com

Quote:> and ran m4 /etc/mail/sendmail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/senmail.cf.

                                                            ^
Hope that is a mis-spell for sendmail.cf--------------------'

/etc/mail/sendmail/sendmail.mc must be a Redhat thing, my Mandrake has
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc

my lan domain is .home

I had to make a genericstable to change Bittwister to a valid email
address so it would get past spam relays.

Here are my changes to the mc file Left is mine, right is out of the box

dif sendmail.mc sendmail.mc_orig
11c11
< include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
---

Quote:> include(`../m4/cf.m4')dnl

23,26c23
< FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
< MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`wb.home')
< GENERICS_DOMAIN(`wb.home')dnl
< MASQUERADE_AS(`attbi.com')dnl
---
Quote:> MASQUERADE_AS(`localhost.localdomain')dnl

34c31
< FEATURE(`genericstable', `hash /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl
---
Quote:> FEATURE(genericstable)dnl

71d67
< define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.attbi.com')dnl

>>> After upgrading to 8.0 sendmail no longer works.  Currently sendmail is
>>> sending to localhost.domain.com.  How do I change this to just domain.com?

>>I'll bet you have not looked in /etc/mail made your changes
>>to sendmail.mc and used it to create sendmail.cf.

>>Doubt your webadmin will help unless it knows about the sendmail 8 changes.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

1. Newbie - Sendmail configuration

Hello,

I'm trying to use RH Linux 5.2 with a dedicated internet connection to
relay e-mail from a Novell server to the rest of the known world. Novell
clients can get e-mail just fine (I assume that POP3 is working). In
fact, everything works great with the exception of sending mail to the
Linux box from Novell Netware.

I think SMTP (sendmail) may need to be configured either to accept mail
from the Novell server, or pass it on to the ISP's mail server.

Any ideas?

Kurt White
Horton Engineering

2. COLA FAQ

3. m4 sendmail configuration file.. newbie question

4. Building shared library which includes static libraries

5. Sendmail: local configuration error

6. Javastations

7. sendmail configuration

8. WordPerfect8