1. upgrading gcc from 2.96 (yuk) to 3.x in RedHat 7.3
Just tried compiling MPlayer in my new "state of the art" (heh) Redhat
7.3 system, and lo and behold:
Detected operating system: Linux
Detected host architecture: i386
Checking for gcc version ... 2.96, bad
Checking for gcc3 version ... v. ?.??, bad
*** Please downgrade/upgrade C compiler to gcc-2.95.x or gcc-3.x
You are using a different compiler than ours. We do not have the time to
sure everything works with compilers than the one we use. Use either
same compiler as ours, or use --disable-gcc-checking but DO *NOT* REPORT
unless you can reproduce them after recompiling with 2.95.x or 3.0.x
Note for gcc 2.96 users: some versions of this compiler are known to
mplayer and lame (which is used for mencoder). If you get compile errors,
first upgrade to the latest 2.96 release (but minimum 2.96-85) and try
If the problem still exists, try with gcc 3.0.x (or 2.95.x) *BEFORE*
GCC 2.96 IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED BY US !
*** For details please read DOCS/gcc-2.96-3.0.html ***
Error: Bad gcc version
Check configure.log if you do not understand why it failed.
Hehe... You'd think that RedHat would release the "Newest" and best
version of gcc with their new os release, eh? Anyway, I downloaded the
base gcc rpm, and it required a bunch of other rpms & dependencies and
what not... nobody ever said this was easy stuff. :) Has anyone out
there done this before successfully that wouldn't mind giving me
organized (not necessarily easy, but detailed) instructions? Like, what
are the appropriate files to get and all that.
Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
*To reply via e-mail, remove -NOSPAM from my address
2. want fast way to find if word is in a list
3. Upgrade gcc 2.96-98 to gcc 3.2-7 on Redhat 7.2
4. PPP authentication
5. RedHat trademark. First gcc 2.96 now this
6. Server Pack Up
7. Shared Libraries - Exceptions - GCC 2.96 - Redhat 8.0
8. Proxy server vs. IP Masquerade
9. Removing gcc 2.96 on RedHat
10. gcc 2.96 to compile redhat kernel 2.4.18-3?
11. gcc 2.96 vs. gcc 3.2: namespace, template incompatability
12. HOWTO build/install GCC 3.1 from SRPM w/o replacing GCC 2.96 ?
13. Problem compiling kernel 2.4.7 with gcc 2.96