RH7.2 Install a boot loader after initial install

RH7.2 Install a boot loader after initial install

Post by Peter Cha » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:56:43

I was unable to get a boot loader to install on Master Boot Record
during initial installation of my RH7.2. The FTP install (no CD
drive!) would consistently crash if I tried this. I have a working
system that boots from a floppy diskette, but I'd like to get it to
boot from hard disk, if possible.

My questions are:

* Any suggestions why I might have experienced the problem during
install?

* How can I install a boot loader on the Master Boot Record, now?

* If this attempt falls foul of the same problem that aflicted the
installation, am I likely to break my system so it won't boot from the
diskette?

(Recycled) system is a Dell P66 (hot, eh?!) with 2x1GB SCSI disks.

TIA, P.

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. Sparc10 & Solaris 2.3 constantly rebooting...

3. Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed

4. Shared library problem - anyone help?

5. [Fwd: Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed]

6. Wangtek 5150ES & DC300 carts

7. installing rh7.0, can't get beyond "/sbin/loader"?

8. SLS install garbage on A2, more info

9. Install NIC after Initial Install

10. Installing Networking after initial Install

11. help needed - install - can't find initial directories for install SUSE5.2

12. HELP! RH 5.2 Fails Initial Install Boot

13. Help with boot loader install for Red Hat Linux 8.0