Getting a game to work behind a firewall or IP Masq'ing...

Getting a game to work behind a firewall or IP Masq'ing...

Post by Ben M » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have a Linux server doing simple IP masquerading.. I just recently
purchased a very nice car game.. called 'MIDTOWN MADNESS' by Microsoft.

It allows for IP connections using the INternet.. however, I can't seem to
get it to work when my Windows 98 box is behind a firewall.

I tried to port scan the Windows 98 PC when the game is set in server mode..
there are no additional ports open.. only (PORT 139  TCP  Netbios-ssn) is
open.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

the .nospam)

Getting a game to work behind a firewall or IP Masq'ing...

Post by Greg Leblan » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have a Linux server doing simple IP masquerading.. I just recently
> purchased a very nice car game.. called 'MIDTOWN MADNESS' by
Microsoft.

> It allows for IP connections using the INternet.. however, I can't
seem to
> get it to work when my Windows 98 box is behind a firewall.

Most games don't work well behind a proxy server (ip-masq).

Quote:

> I tried to port scan the Windows 98 PC when the game is set in server
mode..
> there are no additional ports open.. only (PORT 139  TCP  Netbios-ssn)
is
> open.

> Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I suspect that this is a DirectPlay game, but I can't be sure about
that.  If it's directPlay, give up now, you'll never get it working.  If
it's using a decent multiplayer engine, you have a chance.  If you're
running this using a modem, I don't have any idea how to do that.  If
you're using Network cards to connect to the internet, here's some
ideas.  Hook your Linux and Win98 PCs up to a hub, and give the Win98 PC
your internet IP address.  Run tcpdump on the interface that's plugged
into the HUB, and watch the packets that go through there as you start
and play a game.  That should get you closer to figuring it out. Good
Luck,
        Greg
--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

Getting a game to work behind a firewall or IP Masq'ing...

Post by Ken Frazie » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Ben,

Try some of the settings at http://www.tsmservices.com/masq/ for some
help.

Ken

> Hi all,

> I have a Linux server doing simple IP masquerading.. I just recently
> purchased a very nice car game.. called 'MIDTOWN MADNESS' by Microsoft.

> It allows for IP connections using the INternet.. however, I can't seem to
> get it to work when my Windows 98 box is behind a firewall.

> I tried to port scan the Windows 98 PC when the game is set in server mode..
> there are no additional ports open.. only (PORT 139  TCP  Netbios-ssn) is
> open.

> Any ideas would be much appreciated.

> Thanks.

> the .nospam)

Ken Frazier
Kansas,  U.S.A.

"The software said it required Windows 95 or better,
so I installed Linux."

1. SMTP not working behind ip-masq firewall

I'm trying to setup several computers using one machine as the
firewall/router. It has 2 ethernet cards in it. One is a direct connection
to a cable modem, and the other goes to a small router in the apartment.
Everything seemed to be working fine until we tried sending mail from the
machine currently behind the firewall. Using pine, an error was returned
that the SMTP hosts did not know the hostname, having been given the name
of the computer behind the firewall. I also tried setting the firewall as
my SMTP server, but that resulted in an error about not relaying. What
would be the best way to set this up to allow outgoing email from any of
the computers behind the firewall machine?

BTW, both machines are currently running a fresh RedHat 5.0 installation
with very minimal changes, including custom compiled kernels.

Thanks,
Matthew

--

| Matthew T. Jachimstal  KG9LF  CS Major  Michigan Technological University

| QSL/Contest Manager Husky Amateur Radio Club W8YY    [\] <*>

2. Crontab Problems

3. IP Masq/Firewall works for everything but DirectX Games..ideas??

4. Making linux-box DGL capable? (want to run SGI apps.)

5. Linux as DHCPD and IP Masq'ing firewall?

6. 2.4.9-ac10 hangs on CDROM read error

7. dening certain ip addresses to http server running behind a IP Masq Firewall

8. error building xmlenc from the ports tree

9. Gaming Behind an IP Masq

10. IP Masq'd Workstation to connect to IP Masq'd Workstation

11. Apache server behind Firewall(IP masq.)

12. IP Masq'ing a block of class C's to itself over 2 interfaces?

13. ICQ behind IP Masq w/firewall UDP port 4000 ???