Newbie Q Re: initiating newly installed software

Newbie Q Re: initiating newly installed software

Post by Alla » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:22:16

So, I know how to install software on Red Hat with rpm,

But once it isn loaded - how to start it!

I just downloaded and installed

CoffeeCup HTML editor and TZO, etc.

They don't show up in Gnombe menu selections! (I have been spoiled/crippled
by windoze experience!)

Help!

Newbie Q Re: initiating newly installed software

Post by R. Raygu » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:07:45

The programs are installed in a directory that is in your PATH. From a
terminal simply type the program name. Read the GNOME user manual to find
out how to add menu items and panel launchers (i.e. icons).

Adding a desktop launcher (icon) for your new program is very simple. Just
right-click on the desktop and choose New->Launcher... Then fill out the
"Desktop entry properties" dialog. Since the program is in your PATH, you
don't need to know where it's at. Just type its name in the Command: box.
Finding an icon can be trickier. Click the "No Icon" box, then look
around in /usr/share/pixmaps and its subdirectories.

--
The From: address is not my real email address. If you wish to reply,
you can reach me at cyclists AT nc DOT rr DOT com.

Newbie Q Re: initiating newly installed software

Post by Kevin Stoke » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:48:20

Quote:>I just downloaded and installed

CoffeeCup HTML editor and TZO, etc.

They don't show up in Gnombe menu selections! (I have been spoiled/crippled
by windoze experience!)<

I too am new to Linux.  I installed it for the first time two days ago.   I
figure out how to run my stuff by using the following method:

cd /etc/bin   ( This changes the current directory to where most of the
binary executables are kept. )

ls -ld * | less   ( This lists all the files in the directory.  Use the
arrow keys to scroll, and 'Q' to exit. )

  Look through the list for files which have  a bunch of 'x''s in the
attribute.  These are the runnable ones.   Look for candidates which might
be what you want.  When you see one you think might be relevant, get out of
less with the q key, and then type 'man' and then the command.

  For example, I know I installed the ssh shell.   So I go to /etc/bin and
find there is something called 'ssh' in /etc/bin.   So I type

man ssh

  This brings up some documentation (manual pages) about it.  Sometimes it
is very helpful, other times it is just a bunch of arcane unix gibberish.

  There's also lots of HOWTO's at www.linuxdoc.org   and other places like
it.  However, I found it difficult to find the answer to a specific question
with the HOWTO's.

   Since I use debian, I've had some luck searching their 'user' email list
archive for keywords and try to find a newbie question that was answered by
others earlier.  This sometimes works if it is a typical problem.

--
Kevin Stokes
Pie in the Sky Software

Newbie Q Re: initiating newly installed software

Post by Jeff Howar » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 10:58:01

Is CoffeCup and TZO written for Gnome?  If not, they will never be put it the
startup menu unless you put
them there.

> So, I know how to install software on Red Hat with rpm,

> But once it isn loaded - how to start it!

> I just downloaded and installed

> CoffeeCup HTML editor and TZO, etc.

> They don't show up in Gnombe menu selections! (I have been spoiled/crippled
> by windoze experience!)

> Help!

1. Newbie: Newly Installed GNU software.

Running Linux-Mandrake 7.2.  I've tried installing new software, such as the M4 program, from www.gnu.org.  It seems to install correctly into the /usr/local/bin directory (default), but when I go to install other software, nothing recognizes that the M4, etc, are installed and available.  Why aren't the installations being detected?  Thanx.

2. 2.4.15-final

3. Newbie HELP! Cannot boot newly installed Linux

4. Wine Office XP Pro

5. Can someone actually initiate from a newbie???

6. Crontab/Ambiguous Output Re-Direct

7. More Win95 --> Linux Newbie Qs

8. Need a text parser besides SED

9. 3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk

10. Newbie Qs: Kernel patching and ppp auto dialing for no (apparent) reason

11. Newbie Qs & As

12. Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

13. Newbie setup Qs for RH