disappearing windows - need help

Post by LN » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:39:50

Hi.

I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this question, but I'm
about at my wit's end.

I have a redhat 7.2 system with some errata installed (including all
of the kde RPMs).  I'm running KDE as the desktop.  I'm using Netscape 4.78
to read my email from an IMAP server.  I'm also running Word Perfect Office
2000 (which is really Word Perfect 9), which is not linux native, but
a Windows program running under wine.

The system is an athalon 1 Ghz, with 256 MB, and a 40 GB hard drive
(which is dual boot Win 2000 and linux).

The Problem:  at (apparently) random times, the Netscape window completely
disappears.  Also, often, I have windows where the content of the window
disappears (you can see the wallpaper on the desktop), but the frame
of the window remains (and cannot be closed).

Does anyone here have any idea what's going on, or where I might look
for more information?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Janet

disappearing windows - need help

Post by Sal » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 09:04:59

Quote:> Hi.

> I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this question, but I'm
> about at my wit's end.

> I have a redhat 7.2 system with some errata installed (including all
> of the kde RPMs).  I'm running KDE as the desktop.  I'm using Netscape
4.78
> to read my email from an IMAP server.  I'm also running Word Perfect
Office
> 2000 (which is really Word Perfect 9), which is not linux native, but
> a Windows program running under wine.

> The system is an athalon 1 Ghz, with 256 MB, and a 40 GB hard drive
> (which is dual boot Win 2000 and linux).

> The Problem:  at (apparently) random times, the Netscape window completely
> disappears.  Also, often, I have windows where the content of the window
> disappears (you can see the wallpaper on the desktop), but the frame
> of the window remains (and cannot be closed).

> Does anyone here have any idea what's going on, or where I might look
> for more information?

> Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks!

> Janet

Check your system logs, they might give an indication of where the problem
is occuring.

1. HELP: Windows disappear when iconified

Under GNOME Redhat 7 things went fine for a few months, then suddenly
manifested
the following problem:

On iconifying a window, the window (and its icon) disappear. The
process is
still running from ps, but there is nothing in the panel bar or
desktop to access it by.

I did a deja search on this problem and found several users who had
had this
problem with GNOME. However, there was no actual answer I could use to
any of these problems:

 1. One answer said to "add the pager applet to the panel" but there
is no pager
applet i could find under Utilities.

 2. One answer said to modify configuration files, but it did not
state which configuration files.

 3. Some answers stated to use KDE.

However, I only want to use my window manager for very simple tasks,
namely
iconifying and uniconifying windows. I just don't need other themes or
in fact
any other functionality and don't want to reinstall a whole other
window manager.
Does anyone know concretely what could be causing this?

I mean I was perfectly happy with GNOME until this problem started.

2. /dev/lp0 no longer detected

3. parameters disappear - newbie needs help

4. Cheaper RedHat 5.1

5. Need help accessing shared files in window on Linux and windows printer on Linux.

6. Oracle under Unixware trouble (async i/o)

7. Help needed getting rid of window borders and window resize corners

8. Mirror Drive in AIX 4.2.1???

9. HELP!!! I need RT AIX X-Windows help!!!

10. Netscape windows DISAPPEAR :(

11. disappearing xterm windows

12. aixterm window disappearing

13. Lilo disappeared after window 95 installation