AfterStep does not save settings upon exit

AfterStep does not save settings upon exit

Post by --==[bolMyn]==- » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am stumped at something that happened to me today.  After adding
another menu to my AfterStep menu list and restarting the session, it
only stays there until next logon.  With my next logon, all my custom
menus are gone without a trace!  Could someone, please, let me know
what's happening here?  I hope, I won't have to launch all my programs
via terminal window... :-(

--
Bolek,

New Jersey, US

Post by doug » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am stumped at something that happened to me today.  After adding
> another menu to my AfterStep menu list and restarting the session, it
> only stays there until next logon.  With my next logon, all my custom
> menus are gone without a trace!  Could someone, please, let me know
> what's happening here?  I hope, I won't have to launch all my programs
> via terminal window... :-(

> --
> Bolek,

> New Jersey, US

well, I use RH 5.2 & AfterStep. I had this same problem and also
thought it was AfterStep. Turns out it is actually a RH 5.2 problem.
They developed some kind of menu management system that tries to
keep track of menu changes between all window managers, or some
thing like that. It doesn't work to well. One way of dealing with it
is to turn it off. To do that I edited my .Xclients to execute
AfterStep directly, I think you could also put it in xinitrc.

Post by Al Azuka » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am stumped at something that happened to me today.  After adding
> another menu to my AfterStep menu list and restarting the session, it
> only stays there until next logon.  With my next logon, all my custom
> menus are gone without a trace!  Could someone, please, let me know
> what's happening here?  I hope, I won't have to launch all my programs
> via terminal window... :-(

> --
> Bolek,

> New Jersey, US

Afterstep rewrites the menu-list every time it is re-started. It gets
it's information from the listing in /etc and writes it  to the
AfterStepGNU directory in the home directory. To circumvent this I had
to manually add the listing in the afterstep directory and then run
wmconfig -output afterstep. Hope this helps.

Post by Jim Liedek » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > I am stumped at something that happened to me today.  After adding
> > another menu to my AfterStep menu list and restarting the session, it
> > only stays there until next logon.  With my next logon, all my custom
> > menus are gone without a trace!  Could someone, please, let me know
> > what's happening here?  I hope, I won't have to launch all my programs
> > via terminal window... :-(

> > --
> > Bolek,

> > New Jersey, US
> Afterstep rewrites the menu-list every time it is re-started. It gets
> it's information from the listing in /etc and writes it  to the
> AfterStepGNU directory in the home directory. To circumvent this I had
> to manually add the listing in the afterstep directory and then run
> wmconfig -output afterstep. Hope this helps.

I encountered this problem and some helpful soul told me to edit my
.Xclients file.  I believe that the default script in .Xclients copies
the main GNUStep directory to your user directory.  You can comment
these lines out so all your .Xclients file does is exec afterstep.  I
don't have the exact command line to give you because I recently
switched to enlightenment.

        Jim
--
Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.