Redhat, Linux, Media One, Security and Can They Do This?

Redhat, Linux, Media One, Security and Can They Do This?

Post by --==[bolMyn]==- » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

anywhere that you cannot use any other system than Windows 95/98.  Further
more, as much as I was surprised, it's clearly stated that if "you decide to

responsible for any damage you might suffer due to running those services on

There was a long thread about it (among other things, I posted the exact
wording of this agreement).  What you are saying used to be the case in the
past.  It must have changed (maybe at least here in New Jersey).

brought up the question of me running ftp and http servers.  I said, yes and

agreement I cannot run it" to which I replied with a quote from their own
user agreement.  Upon reading that, ftp and http server were no more brought
up into a conversation. If you have a chance to pick up such agreement from

It's very educational.

Again, it states nowhere that you can't use Linux or other OS different than
Windows 95/98.  It only says that they will not support anything else which
is different from "forbidding" it.  So, I don't think they have a legal
right to tell you that you can't use it.  It's like GM telling you that you
can't use gas other than from Exxon.

Also, for those concerned with the security and port scans.  There is a very
good piece of software called "portsentry" which is a "black hole" trap.
The way it works is you "hot wire" all the ports which normally wouldn't be
used by regular users.  (the ports left opened would be 80, 21, 110, 25, 23,
53 and few others). If you are really paranoid, then you can increase your
security even more.  If a potential attacker would try to exploit different
ports, "portsentry" would automatically block them off.  The way it looks to
the attacker is an incredible slow down in the connection with a termination

couldn't because once they trip a "hot wired" port, they will not be able to
ping you and so on.  You machine will become invisible.

I don't know what more security measure one can ask for...