copying file from CD hangs system

Post by Roo » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 05:38:51

Am trying to copy a file from my cdrom to /tmp. The file is a zip file
and is 160Mb. The copy of the file succeeds fine until it gets to
about 100Mb at which point the whole system hangs and I have to reboot
- no matter what keys I pressed nothing is recongised!

The following message is seen whilst in the /var/log..

localhost kernal: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
localhost kernal: SCSI aborting command due to timeout: pid 3076,
scsio, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, Test Unit Ready 00 0000 00
localhost kernal: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 3076) timed out - reseting
localhost kernal: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0

Any ideas what could be the problem

RH8 Personal Edition

TIA

Post by Robert M. Riches J » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:54:17

> Am trying to copy a file from my cdrom to /tmp. The file is a zip file
> and is 160Mb. The copy of the file succeeds fine until it gets to
> about 100Mb at which point the whole system hangs and I have to reboot
> - no matter what keys I pressed nothing is recongised!

> The following message is seen whilst in the /var/log..

> localhost kernal: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
> localhost kernal: SCSI aborting command due to timeout: pid 3076,
> scsio, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, Test Unit Ready 00 0000 00
> localhost kernal: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 3076) timed out - reseting
> localhost kernal: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0

I'm not an expert, but ...

Can you read large numbers of other CDs with that drive and
system?  If so, perhaps it's a bad disc and makes the drive
misbehave.  If you haven't proven the drive can read large
numbers of other CDs, I would check the SCSI cables,
terminators, etc.  On a SCSI-based Alpha machine, I had
occasional problems until I quit using the built-in drive
termination and went with a separate active standalone
terminator unit.  If your room's ambient temperature is
climbing with warmer weather, perhaps a heat-related
hardware problem is involved.

Good luck.

Robert Riches