1. Linux can't find USR PCI hardware modem
I recently upgraded my motherboard (the Linux partitions were hosed by my
disk contollers failing) and now I can't initialize my 3-COM PCI
controller-based internal modem. I was able to initialize the modem (and go
and surf, etc.) before I swapped the motherboard.
The thing that really gets me is that the modem works fine under Windows
(com5, IRQ 9, I/O 0x1050-0x1057--IRQ holder for PCI steering has my sound
card, my USR/3-COM 56K Fax PCI modem, and Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB
Universal Host Controller sharing the same IRQ (9)).
I do a cat /proc/pci and find the IRQ and I/O
values for what I take to be the modem (they are the same values as in
Windows on my dual-boot system with Redat 6.2.14).
Then I type
setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 9 port 0x1051 autoconfig
There is a link between /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS1.
When I go to Gnome ppp to dial up a connection, nothing happens. Minicom
just sits there too--it seems to think that it has dialed up and connected
but it hasn't--no dialing, handshaking at all, and no "OK" message. When I
run a debug in Redhat Config for the modem, I get the message that there is
an I/O problem. Wvdialconf also says there is no serial port.
When I type dmesg I find the following seemingly relevant lines:
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY-PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Creative SBLive! at 0x1020 on irq 9
When the modem was working before I swapped motherboards, the modem shared
IRQ 12 with the sound card, and the modem was assigned com 5 under Windows.
This setup presented no problems for Linux then. But now Linux can't find
the modem. I've been looking at the MODEM-HOW-TO pages and have to say I'm
Does anyone have any suggestions about some things I might try to figure
this problem out?
2. Linux: where is the savings ?
3. PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1
4. How do you execute SNAPSHOT from the command tool?
5. Getting a USR hardware modem to work
6. proftpd / inetd - unable to connect
7. USR Hardware modem
8. Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.
9. USR OEM Alana DFV PCI V.90 modem
10. USR PCI Modems & Linux? Help
11. linux & 3com USR 56k PCI fax Modem
12. PCI modem, internal pci modem question
13. 3Com USR 5610 PCI Modem Problems