USR Hardware PCI Modem

Post by Chris Ro » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:23:45

I am a newbie trying to install a Us Robotics 3cp5610 on a RedHat 9.0 box. I
know that PCI is not the way to go but that's what I have.

I tried to do set serial to ttyS3 but I kept getting
"Cannot set serial info: Address already in use."

I did cat /proc/interrupts and found that irq 12 was being shared by a usb
port. So I went into the bios and disabled that usb port and both serial
ports to make sure there was no i/o conflicts.

Then I did the setserial command putting in the io address and irq and it
seemed to have set the modem on ttyS4.

When I do 'cat /proc/ioports ' I get
d000-d007: Us Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
   d000-d007: Serial(set)

When I do 'dmesg | grep ttyS' I get
tty4 at port 0xd000 irq 12 is a 16550A

Does this mean that the modem is installed or not? It does not show up in
devices.

When I configure and run KPPP I get 'The Modem is Busy".

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

Thank you in advance,
Chris

USR Hardware PCI Modem

Post by dnoy » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:56:03

USR Hardware PCI Modem

Post by Chris Ro » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:20:56

Yes, Kudzu detected it fine.

> | I am a newbie trying to install a Us Robotics 3cp5610 on a RedHat 9.0
> box. I
> | know that PCI is not the way to go but that's what I have.
> |
> | I tried to do set serial to ttyS3 but I kept getting
> | "Cannot set serial info: Address already in use."
> |
> | I did cat /proc/interrupts and found that irq 12 was being shared by a
usb
> | port. So I went into the bios and disabled that usb port and both serial
> | ports to make sure there was no i/o conflicts.
> |
> | Then I did the setserial command putting in the io address and irq and
it
> | seemed to have set the modem on ttyS4.
> |
> | When I do 'cat /proc/ioports ' I get
> | d000-d007: Us Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
> |    d000-d007: Serial(set)
> |
> | When I do 'dmesg | grep ttyS' I get
> | tty4 at port 0xd000 irq 12 is a 16550A
> |
> | Does this mean that the modem is installed or not? It does not show up
in
> | devices.
> |
> | When I configure and run KPPP I get 'The Modem is Busy".
> |
> | Can anyone tell me what might be going on?
> |
> | Thank you in advance,
> | Chris
> |

> was the modem detected by kudzu?

> - --
> L8r,

> C.L. Gilbert
> For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
> http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

> "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
> the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
> and a robber."  John 10:1

> GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
> 82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

USR Hardware PCI Modem

Post by dnoy » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:55:36

| Yes, Kudzu detected it fine.

|>| I am a newbie trying to install a Us Robotics 3cp5610 on a RedHat 9.0
|>box. I
|>| know that PCI is not the way to go but that's what I have.
|>|
|>| I tried to do set serial to ttyS3 but I kept getting
|>| "Cannot set serial info: Address already in use."
|>|
|>| I did cat /proc/interrupts and found that irq 12 was being shared by a
|
| usb
|
|>| port. So I went into the bios and disabled that usb port and both serial
|>| ports to make sure there was no i/o conflicts.
|>|
|>| Then I did the setserial command putting in the io address and irq and
|
| it
|
|>| seemed to have set the modem on ttyS4.
|>|
|>| When I do 'cat /proc/ioports ' I get
|>| d000-d007: Us Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
|>|    d000-d007: Serial(set)
|>|
|>| When I do 'dmesg | grep ttyS' I get
|>| tty4 at port 0xd000 irq 12 is a 16550A
|>|
|>| Does this mean that the modem is installed or not? It does not show up
|
| in
|
|>| devices.
|>|
|>| When I configure and run KPPP I get 'The Modem is Busy".
|>|
|>| Can anyone tell me what might be going on?
|>|
|>| Thank you in advance,
|>| Chris
|>|
|>|
|>was the modem detected by kudzu?
|>
|>- --
|>L8r,
|>

|>C.L. Gilbert
|>For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
|>http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html
|>
|>"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
|>the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
|>and a robber."  John 10:1
|>
|>GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
|>82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

sorry I can't help anymore...Mine is on the way in the mail now :)
hopefully it goes smootly.  be sure to check the bios and make sure the
irq is not reserved for that pci slot or anything like that.

- --
L8r,

C.L. Gilbert
For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."  John 10:1

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

1. Linux can't find USR PCI hardware modem

Hi,

I recently upgraded my motherboard (the Linux partitions were hosed by my
disk contollers failing) and now I can't initialize my 3-COM PCI
controller-based internal modem.  I was able to initialize the modem (and go
online
and surf, etc.) before I swapped the motherboard.

The thing that really gets me is that the modem works fine under Windows
(com5, IRQ 9, I/O 0x1050-0x1057--IRQ holder for PCI steering has my sound
card, my USR/3-COM 56K Fax PCI modem, and Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB
Universal Host Controller sharing the same IRQ (9)).

I do a cat /proc/pci and find the IRQ and I/O
values for what I take to be the modem (they are the same values as in
Windows on my dual-boot system with Redat 6.2.14).

Then I type

setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 9 port 0x1051 autoconfig

There is a link between  /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS1.

When I go to Gnome ppp to dial up a connection, nothing happens.  Minicom
just sits there too--it seems to think that it has dialed up and connected
but it hasn't--no dialing, handshaking at all, and no "OK" message.  When I
run a debug in Redhat Config for the modem, I get the message that there is
an I/O problem.  Wvdialconf also says there is no serial port.

When I type dmesg I find the following seemingly relevant lines:

Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY-PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Creative SBLive! at 0x1020 on irq 9

When the modem was working before I swapped motherboards, the modem shared
IRQ 12 with the sound card, and the modem was assigned com 5 under Windows.
This setup presented no problems for Linux then.  But now Linux can't find
the modem.  I've been looking at the MODEM-HOW-TO pages and have to say I'm
still stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestions about some things I might try to figure
this problem out?

Thanks!

Van

Bloomington, Indiana
USA

2. Linux: where is the savings ?

3. PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

4. How do you execute SNAPSHOT from the command tool?

5. Getting a USR hardware modem to work

6. proftpd / inetd - unable to connect

7. USR Hardware modem

8. Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.

9. USR OEM Alana DFV PCI V.90 modem

10. USR PCI Modems & Linux? Help

11. linux & 3com USR 56k PCI fax Modem

12. PCI modem, internal pci modem question

13. 3Com USR 5610 PCI Modem Problems