7.0 config questions: monitor resolution, font, X-system, Gnome, Midnight Commander, fstab

7.0 config questions: monitor resolution, font, X-system, Gnome, Midnight Commander, fstab

Post by JoyInStrugg » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:12:47

Basic RedHat 7.0 post-install configuration problems:

: RedHat on hda2 is not using the full monitor screen
  area.  The shaded background at logon occupies only
  about 4/5ths of the screen area, leaving a wide black
  margin on the left and an even wider black margin on
  the right.  This is a problem I do NOT have with
  Corel 1.2 on hda7.

  I assume this wide unused screen-area means that
  there is something wrong with my X-window settings.
  Will linuxconf help me to enter the right settings?

  During install I specified 800x600 as my screen size,
  because the print displayed in the test screen was
  much too small.  I also specified 32-bit colors --
  perhaps that was the mistake.  How can I combine
  legible prit-size with full use of the screen area?

: Midnight Commander is using "s" and "9" instead of
  the DOS box-characters in its borders.

: Gnome seems to have little or no keyboard interface.
  Searching through help, I can't find keyboard
  "shortcuts" to switch between windows or close
  windows.  The absence of a keyboard interface in
  Gnome, makes Gnome cumbersome to the point of
  being almost unusable.

: Gnome also hung during logout.  I had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1
  to get to the text-mode console.  I tried killing
  gnome_session, but that didn't free things up, so I
  used the shutdown command.  (What task should I have
  killed?)

: None of my other partitions on the hard-drive came
  up accessible.  In fact, there was no /disks directory
  at all! -- as there is in Corel (Debian).  I
  created a /disks directory and a subdirectory for
  each partition, then copied the fstab information
  from the Corel 1.2 partition. I hope this will fix
  the problem.

7.0 config questions: monitor resolution, font, X-system, Gnome, Midnight Commander, fstab

Post by JoyInStrugg » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:06:05

Fixed one problem and encountered another:

: New problem:

  kppp under Redhatt requires me to enter
  the root password, before it will start

  Isn't this a serious security breech?  If a
  user is required to know the root password
  before connecting to the Internet, then the
  user can get at root files

  Under Corel 1.2, kppp does not ask for the
  root password.  Why is kppp different under
  RedHat?

: Window alignment and size problem is fixed:

  Fixed the alignment problem by commenting
  out the higher clock-speed Modeline entries in
  /etc/X11/XF86Config

  Q: Is there any advantage to using the higher
     clock speed values?
  Q: Why are the timing values so far off in the
     Modelines for these higher clock speeds?

  The How-To documentation on the RedHat doc cd
  was very helpful:

  cdrom/HOWTOS/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO
  cdrom/HOWTOS/XFree86-HOWTO

  The first file introduced me to xvidtune.  The
  program calculates XF86Config Modeline timing
  values for various window alignments.  See the
  "man xvidtune" entry for more information.

  Using xvidtune, I was able to correct the
  horizontal alignment and size of the window.
  There were still vertical problems -- although
  there was about half an inch of black at the
  bottom of the screen, xvidtune refused to lower
  the window below 604.

  In my correctly aligned Corel sysem on hda7, the
  setting is 601, and the clockspeed is 40.00 --
  as opposed for 604 and 69.65 for RedHat.

  Original settings:
  H: 800 864 928 1088
  V: 600 604 610 640
  Clock: 69.65
  HSynch: 64.02 (range 30-95)
  VSynch: 100.03 (range 50-160)

  Settings afer I used xvidtune to center
  and align the window:

  H: 800 820 884 1012
  V: 600 604 610 628
  Clock: 69.65
  HSynch: 68.82
  VSynch: 109.59

  Settings from the properly aligned window
  on the Corel system:

  H: 800 840 968 1056
  V: 600 601 605 628
  Clock: 40.00
  HSynch: 37.88
  VSynch: 60.31

  The Modeline for the lower clock speed
  matches the Corel timing values.

  Rather than change the Modeline values for
  the higher clock speeds, I decided to
  comment them out, so that the lower
  clock speed (40.00) will be used.

> Basic RedHat 7.0 post-install configuration problems:

> : RedHat on hda2 is not using the full monitor screen
>   area.  The shaded background at logon occupies only
>   about 4/5ths of the screen area, leaving a wide black
>   margin on the left and an even wider black margin on
>   the right.  This is a problem I do NOT have with
>   Corel 1.2 on hda7.

>   I assume this wide unused screen-area means that
>   there is something wrong with my X-window settings.
>   Will linuxconf help me to enter the right settings?

>   During install I specified 800x600 as my screen size,
>   because the print displayed in the test screen was
>   much too small.  I also specified 32-bit colors --
>   perhaps that was the mistake.  How can I combine
>   legible prit-size with full use of the screen area?

> : Midnight Commander is using "s" and "9" instead of
>   the DOS box-characters in its borders.

> : Gnome seems to have little or no keyboard interface.
>   Searching through help, I can't find keyboard
>   "shortcuts" to switch between windows or close
>   windows.  The absence of a keyboard interface in
>   Gnome, makes Gnome cumbersome to the point of
>   being almost unusable.

> : Gnome also hung during logout.  I had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1
>   to get to the text-mode console.  I tried killing
>   gnome_session, but that didn't free things up, so I
>   used the shutdown command.  (What task should I have
>   killed?)

> : None of my other partitions on the hard-drive came
>   up accessible.  In fact, there was no /disks directory
>   at all! -- as there is in Corel (Debian).  I
>   created a /disks directory and a subdirectory for
>   each partition, then copied the fstab information
>   from the Corel 1.2 partition. I hope this will fix
>   the problem.

7.0 config questions: monitor resolution, font, X-system, Gnome, Midnight Commander, fstab

Post by JoyInStrugg » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:20:58

I Found what may be a partial answer to the kppp
demand for a root password in the /usr doc files
for kppp:

/usr/X11R6/share/doc/HTML/en/kppp/kppp-2.html#ss2.2
/usr/X11R6/share/doc/HTML/en/kppp/kppp-7.html#setuid

My theory is that the the RedHat kpppp is compiled
with setuid ON, and Corel 1.2 kppp with setuid OFF.
That leads to three more questions:

Q: Why do I NEED setuid on?  I have no complaints
 with the Corel version.  It does everything I want
 it to do.  So what do I gain by turning the bit
 on?

Q: Can I recompile kppp and turn the bit off?  If so,
 HOW.  I'm going to have to learn how to compile
 Linux source someday -- maybe this is the time.

Q: If this is NOT the time, then can I just copy
 the Corel 1.2 version of the kppp module into
 RedHat 7.0 (after renaming the RedHat version,
 of course)?

---

> [...]

> >   "shortcuts" to switch between windows or close
> >   windows.  The absence of a keyboard interface in
> >   Gnome, makes Gnome cumbersome to the point of
> >   being almost unusable.

> > : Gnome also hung during logout.  I had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1
> >   to get to the text-mode console.  I tried killing
> >   gnome_session, but that didn't free things up, so I
> >   used the shutdown command.  (What task should I have
> >   killed?)

> > : None of my other partitions on the hard-drive came
> >   up accessible.  In fact, there was no /disks directory
> >   at all! -- as there is in Corel (Debian).  I
> >   created a /disks directory and a subdirectory for
> >   each partition, then copied the fstab information
> >   from the Corel 1.2 partition. I hope this will fix
> >   the problem.

7.0 config questions: monitor resolution, font, X-system, Gnome, Midnight Commander, fstab

Post by JoyInStrugg » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:55:55

Two new problems -- my system seems to be
disintegrating fast!

: I'm trying to install an IOMega parallel-port
  Zip 100 drive.  As I understand it, I have to
  get ppa to load during initialization.

  But when I put "ppa" in /etc/modules, RedHat
  loses track of my non-Linux partitions and
  starts issuing

  hda# has wrong major or minor number

  messages all over the place.  The partitions
  are then invisible to "df".

  I've also tried adding a "modprobe ppa" line

  /etc/rc.d/rc.local

  I get the same effect: missing partitions.

: When I shutdown, I get the following interesting
  messages from X:

  _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno - 111
  Failed to set default font path 'unix/:7100'
  Fatal server error
  could not open default font fixed

  The unix/:7100 line is at the beginning of XF68Config.
  The same line also appears in /etc/X/XF68Config-4.

  I tried changing unix to localhost.localdomain but
  that made things worst -- a fatal error then
  occurred at startup, and I didn't even get to
  shutdown

---

> [...]

> > >   the DOS box-characters in its borders.

> > > : Gnome seems to have little or no keyboard interface.

> > >   Searching through help, I can't find keyboard
> > >   "shortcuts" to switch between windows or close
> > >   windows.  The absence of a keyboard interface in
> > >   Gnome, makes Gnome cumbersome to the point of
> > >   being almost unusable.

> > > : Gnome also hung during logout.  I had to use Ctrl-Alt-F1
> > >   to get to the text-mode console.  I tried killing
> > >   gnome_session, but that didn't free things up, so I
> > >   used the shutdown command.  (What task should I have
> > >   killed?)

> > > : None of my other partitions on the hard-drive came
> > >   up accessible.  In fact, there was no /disks directory
> > >   at all! -- as there is in Corel (Debian).  I
> > >   created a /disks directory and a subdirectory for
> > >   each partition, then copied the fstab information
> > >   from the Corel 1.2 partition. I hope this will fix

1. How to set font colors in GNOME Midnight Commander?

I am using a black background in my theme. Somehow, the font color in
GNOME Midnight color is black as well. How can I change the color so I
can see the filenames? I look forward to receiving replies soon. Thanks.
:)

--
"Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding." --unknown
--

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

2. wu-ftpd and virtual ftp problems

3. Can't recieve packets

4. Changing default font and colors in gnome midnight commander?

5. X on alpha

6. Midnight Commander Config Question

7. HPUX:nfs mount problem

8. compiling midnight commander for Gnome

9. Font problem with Midnight Commander

10. mc (midnight commander) with iso-8x16 font (syscons)?

11. Midnight Commander 1.0 (was Mouseless Commander)

12. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)