Running updates on Colocated server

Post by Keegan Al » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:55:36

Hi folks,

I'm setting up a colocated webserver, and I was wondering if anyone
else runs Red Hat 9.0 on a server outside of their datacenter (or
house).  The closest place for me to find leased rackspace is 2 hours
away, so I want to make the system as stable as possible.

My question... do you guys suggest running the up2date fairly often,
or do you test the updates before installing on production server?  I
was also debating on whether to use the freely downloaded version of
RH or to purchase one of their Enterprise packages.  The Basic Edition
ES package looks like it'd work for us, and at $349 with support, not
a big deal.  I'm not sure how much the subscription plan for Red Hat
Network is though since I'd want to continue subscribing after our
year is up.

I welcome any comments or suggestions.  Thanks,

Keegan.

Running updates on Colocated server

Post by Steve Linber » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:21:14

Quote:> Hi folks,

> I'm setting up a colocated webserver, and I was wondering if anyone
> else runs Red Hat 9.0 on a server outside of their datacenter (or
> house).  The closest place for me to find leased rackspace is 2 hours
> away, so I want to make the system as stable as possible.

> My question... do you guys suggest running the up2date fairly often,
> or do you test the updates before installing on production server?  I
> was also debating on whether to use the freely downloaded version of
> RH or to purchase one of their Enterprise packages.  The Basic Edition
> ES package looks like it'd work for us, and at $349 with support, not
> a big deal.  I'm not sure how much the subscription plan for Red Hat
> Network is though since I'd want to continue subscribing after our
> year is up.

> I welcome any comments or suggestions.  Thanks,

1. I run RH 7.3.  An excellent reference for configuration, tweaking and
securing is "Securing and Optimizing Linux: The Hacking Solution" (v
3.0) at <http://www.openna.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=46>.

2. I build most of my key server apps from source (apache,
apache+mod_perl, openssh, bind, qmail, courier-imap, procmail, etc).  I
have never used up2date.

3. I test EVERYTHING on a local test machine, which is configured
identically, before upgrading the live machine.  I never deploy anything
live that hasn't been tested (built, run, broken and fixed) in a sandbox
first.

1. From a Virtual Server to a Colocate

Hello,

LinuxPorts (http://www.linuxports.com) a website dedicated to professionals,
consultants, and corporations who use or are trying to use Linux is moving
from a Virtual Server to a colocation. Therefore we need your help, we need
to help pay for this new colocate, we have the server we just need help with
the monthlys. We would like to have a couple of people purchase Virtual
Servers from us to help pay for the service. We get plenty of IP addresses
and over 20 gig's of bandwidth with the colocate so none of that should be a
problem.

The server will have Apache_1.3.4+SSL
PHP 3.0.6
SSH
PostgreSQL
PERL5 (Of Course :))
True Virtual FTP (VIA ProFTP)

If anyone would be interested in purchasing a Virtual Server and Or

Thanks!

2. awk

3. From a Virtual server to a colocate

4. Linux vs. OpenBSD as a dedicated firewall/router

5. Need to colocate Linux server in NYC

6. OpenSSH hang-on-exit patch for Linux

7. From a Vritual Server to a Colocate

8. Beat this, windoze and OS2 fans!

9. Nameservers on colocated Linux servers

10. Update DNS server from DHCP server

11. If it runs NT server, will it run Linux???

12. : can't run ftp server in oe 9 after running JASS

13. Need to run X-Server on a netra T1 running solaris 8