Help - Upgrading from 6.2 to 7.1/7.2

Post by Fox Morr » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 04:12:46

Okay, not too sure if I missed an update somewhere or something, but
I'm having a problem with previously made shell scripts that ran fine
in 6.2, but don't in 7.1 or 7.2.

The command that's giving me greif is the 'exec' command. I have a
shell that has a line that looks like:
exec /usr/local/uddp/udenv.sh
This is all fine and dandy in 6.2. The main shell will then execute
'udenv.sh' (which loads environment vars). Another example is:
exec /usr/local/voxcd/voxcd.sh
This works fine as well (the voxcd.sh shell calls a program after
setting up environmentals.) in 6.2..

In 7.1/7.2, what is SEEMING to happen is the exec command is executing
the shells with not tty attached to them. So when I run the calling
shell, I see nothing. In fact, I can't even abort it, interrupt it,
suspend it from that tty. The only way to kill it is to kill-9 the
process id (from another tty.)

Have I been using the 'exec' command incorrectly, or was something
changed that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Mike.

Post by James Richard Tyre » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:04:26

> Okay, not too sure if I missed an update somewhere or something, but
> I'm having a problem with previously made shell scripts that ran fine
> in 6.2, but don't in 7.1 or 7.2.

> The command that's giving me greif is the 'exec' command. I have a
> shell that has a line that looks like:
> exec /usr/local/uddp/udenv.sh
> This is all fine and dandy in 6.2. The main shell will then execute
> 'udenv.sh' (which loads environment vars). Another example is:
> exec /usr/local/voxcd/voxcd.sh
> This works fine as well (the voxcd.sh shell calls a program after
> setting up environmentals.) in 6.2..

> In 7.1/7.2, what is SEEMING to happen is the exec command is executing
> the shells with not tty attached to them. So when I run the calling
> shell, I see nothing. In fact, I can't even abort it, interrupt it,
> suspend it from that tty. The only way to kill it is to kill-9 the
> process id (from another tty.)

> Have I been using the 'exec' command incorrectly, or was something
> changed that I should be aware of?

The purpose of the 'exec' command is to transfer the current process to
the command listed as its argument.

That is: you can run the same command with or without the 'exec"
command.

If you do it without the 'exec' then the shell you execute the command
in will remain and control will be returned to it after the command is
finished.

If you do it with the 'exec' command, another process is not created and
control passes to the command -- it doesn't come back.

You probably want to use: 'source' which will run the command script as
though it was part of the script you call it from.

JRT

1. Video console difference between Redhat 6.2 and 7.1/7.2

Hi,

I have a laptop which has a slight defective video chip. It seems to work
only in certain text mode. I am able to install and run Redhat 6.2 on it
(but the network card did not work) but when I tried installing Redhat 7.2
on it, the screen comes up with the Grub boot message followed by "Uncompressing
kernel". The rest of the boot up messages and the console did NOT appear. The
system works because I am able to use the Serial Port as well as Telnet into
the laptop.

I have tried changing the VGA mode during the boot up and all of them have the
same effect.

What is different between the Linux 2.2.x and Linux 2.4.x kernel vga console
routines ?? Can I compile a kernel with the correct settings to bring back
the previous behaviour ?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

thanks

CK

2. 2.5.20 and Nvidia's Offical Drivers

3. Help: Upgrade from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 7.2 results internet problem

4. LINUX = COMUNISM more...

5. KDE crashes on start in RedHat 6.2 to 7.2 upgrade

6. Commercial Support for Linux Wanted

7. Can I upgrade from rh 6.2 to 7.2 FAQ url needed

8. Where to download Staroffice?

9. Upgrade 6.2 -> 7.1 complains about /dev/hda5 not being cleanly dismounted

10. Delll PowerEdge 2400 upgrade Redhat 6.2 -> 7.1

11. problem upgrading from mandrake 6.2 to 7.2

12. RH 6.2 > 7.2 upgrade and RAID

13. 6.2->7.1 Upgrade went bad