Iomega External Firewire drive + red hat 9

Iomega External Firewire drive + red hat 9

Post by the fling » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:49:06

Well, heres my deal. Just trying out linux, and i have this external
hard drive (im on a laptop) currently formatted in fat32. It has most
of my important data on it. It is a firewire drive, and for some
reason there is no linux software supporting it. The closest i could
get was linux tools here
http://www.iomega.com/software/listing/_all_linux.html?platform=LINUX...
however, under the supported ones i dont see firewire.

therefore, i was wondering if there was a way for me to get whatever
you call a driver in linux :) for my hard drive, or a website for me
to sift through :)

thanks,

theflinger

Iomega External Firewire drive + red hat 9

Post by Gary Desrosier » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:15:48

Of course it's supported.

Do this...

# rmmod sbp2
# modprobe sbp2
# mkdir /mnt/important
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/important
# cd /mnt/important
# ls -l

You should see the files in the root of that drive. If you don't tell me.

Gary

> Well, heres my deal. Just trying out linux, and i have this external
> hard drive (im on a laptop) currently formatted in fat32. It has most
> of my important data on it. It is a firewire drive, and for some
> reason there is no linux software supporting it. The closest i could
> get was linux tools here

http://www.iomega.com/software/listing/_all_linux.html?platform=LINUX...
Quote:> however, under the supported ones i dont see firewire.

> therefore, i was wondering if there was a way for me to get whatever
> you call a driver in linux :) for my hard drive, or a website for me
> to sift through :)

> thanks,

> theflinger

Iomega External Firewire drive + red hat 9

Post by the fling » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:32:25

forgive me for my ignorance...but this is my terminal log

mount: /dev/sdal is not a valid block device

total 0

i thought that the # were comment lines but when i went into root they
were there automatically :)

any ideas?
when you said "root of that drive" you mean
/root or "roots home" if im logged in as root, correct?

thanks for your help

Post by Gary Desrosier » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:29:18

> mount: /dev/sdal is not a valid block device

Use a numeric one (1) /dev/sda1 and it should work. I think you used an ell
(l) They look similar.

Quote:> any ideas?
> when you said "root of that drive" you mean
> /root or "roots home" if im logged in as root, correct?

By root of the drive I meant the top of the hierarchy. In Windows
terminology this would be c:\

Gary.

Post by the fling » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:40:01

> > mount: /dev/sdal is not a valid block device

> Use a numeric one (1) /dev/sda1 and it should work. I think you used an ell
> (l) They look similar.

> > any ideas?
> > when you said "root of that drive" you mean
> > /root or "roots home" if im logged in as root, correct?

> By root of the drive I meant the top of the hierarchy. In Windows
> terminology this would be c:\

> Gary.

GARY:
you are god!
thank you SO much for your help, i really appreciate sticking with me
through ell + 1 ehehehehe!!

/me bows
now its time to post my next question :) hehe

thanks again
flinger

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Aztech CD-ROM drive

3. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

4. X11 for trident

5. problems with Iomega Jaz drive under Red Hat 5.0

6. AIX 4.1.5 to 4.3.2 local print not working after upgrade

7. Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

8. Some Windows weirdnesses...

9. Probs installing external Zip drive on Red Hat 5.2

10. LinuxPPC off of external firewire drive on Lombard?

11. USB 2 or FireWire (for external hard drive)

12. Maxtor PCI firewire adapter + external 160gb drive?

13. External Firewire Drive