Help with USB cable modem please ?

Post by adm » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:14:29

Dear all,

I am a new convert trying to get my system set up. I have an Advent 3G P4
machine, with a dual disc, dual boot Win XP and RedHat 9 srtup. RH was a
dream to install and cae up flawlessly first time. However - I can't get my
Cable modem to work properly. It kind of works - in that it let me download
100Meg of updates from RHN, I can ping anysite, run tracert etc..... BUT -
most of the time, it just does't want to connect to any websites.

I have tried many settings already, and everything looks fine. I can
activate and disactivate the modem  and watch its lights go on and off, and
as I say, it will transfer data and pings fine. The modem is a Terayon
TeraJet 210, provided by NTL in the UK. It does have an Ethernet port as
well as USB, but for some reason that does not work. For some reason, the
NTL setup (it''s a wireless  link for 512M broadband) doesn't allow it. I
cannot get the modem to work via Ethernet to any computer - not just this
one

On boot, everything looks like the machine has talked to the DHCP machine
and running ifconfig shows eth0 as up and running, and being my cable modem.
Fien so far.

If I launch Moz, or Konqueror and type in an URL, the modem light blinks,
and it almost looks like the cable modem is getting it's first chunk of
data. Then most of the time, it chokes to a halt. However - sometimes, very
rarely, it works fine and completes the whole page. The success rate is
maybe 1 in 100.

I've also tried setting up various mail accounts and using other pieces of
internet software to check - and this same behaviour seems to happen with
them all. Almost like whatever server the modem is talking to is allowing it
just to get the first few bytes of the data, then shuts down the
flow.....then the machine just keeps waiting. It doesn't seem to timeout
either.

There are a couple of strage things I see that may indicate problems. The
first is that on the boot splashscreen, it says "Welcome to DHCP-XX-X". Now
I thought my localhost name was set to something other than that.

A little later on, it says "DHCP-XX-X could not be found on the internet,
this will affect Gnome applications.  Adding DCHP-X-X to your /etc/host file
may solve this (although it doesn't seem to)Try again or just continue?"

Hit continue and everything loads up.

The second oddity is that whenever I try to use the Network control panel, I
get the "eth0 has alias to CDCEther in modules.conf instead of currently
loaded CDC Ethrnet Class". However - if i run listmod, it says that CDCEther
IS in fact loaded.

What's more. This modem works flawlessy in Windows. I was so pleased to get
my linux box up and running so painlessly and really hope that I can get
this bug sorted out as right now I have to reboot to WIndows to send mail
and do usenet....

A little more data to add to the above  if it's any help:

I changed the startup level to 3 to boot up without X, and now see the
following message every couple of seconds or so.....

"usb-uhci.c interrupt, status 3, frame XXX"

This indicates to me that something is wrong with the usb-uhci module ? Any
ideas ?

Any ideas ??  Let me know if any particular log results would be useful in
diagnosing this...

Thanks.

Post by dnoy » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:50:56

> [...]
| loaded CDC Ethrnet Class". However - if i run listmod, it says that
CDCEther
| IS in fact loaded.
|
| What's more. This modem works flawlessy in Windows. I was so pleased
to get
| my linux box up and running so painlessly and really hope that I can get
| this bug sorted out as right now I have to reboot to WIndows to send mail
| and do usenet....
|

| A little more data to add to the above  if it's any help:
|
| I changed the startup level to 3 to boot up without X, and now see the
| following message every couple of seconds or so.....
|
| "usb-uhci.c interrupt, status 3, frame XXX"
|
| This indicates to me that something is wrong with the usb-uhci module
? Any
| ideas ?
|
| Any ideas ??  Let me know if any particular log results would be useful in

1. sometimes usb modes have to be changed to work well with linux.
2. you could have some kind of DNS problem, do IP addresses work in the
browser?

- --
L8r,

C.L. Gilbert
For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."  John 10:1

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

Post by adm » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:35:04

> [...]
> to get
> | my linux box up and running so painlessly and really hope that I can get
> | this bug sorted out as right now I have to reboot to WIndows to send
mail
> | and do usenet....
> |

> | A little more data to add to the above  if it's any help:
> |
> | I changed the startup level to 3 to boot up without X, and now see the
> | following message every couple of seconds or so.....
> |
> | "usb-uhci.c interrupt, status 3, frame XXX"
> |
> | This indicates to me that something is wrong with the usb-uhci module
> ? Any
> | ideas ?
> |
> | Any ideas ??  Let me know if any particular log results would be useful
in
> | diagnosing this...
> |
> | Thanks.
> |

> 1. sometimes usb modes have to be changed to work well with linux.

Could you explain this a little more please ?

Quote:> 2. you could have some kind of DNS problem, do IP addresses work in the
> browser?

Nope - just tried and it's exactly the same problem. In the network config
though, the DNS are correct (and it must have got these from DHCP as I
didn't manually put them in. They ping fine as well.

Cheers,

Post by dnoy » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:58:38

|>| Dear all,
|>|
|>| I am a new convert trying to get my system set up. I have an Advent 3G
|
| P4
|
|>| machine, with a dual disc, dual boot Win XP and RedHat 9 srtup. RH was a
|>| dream to install and cae up flawlessly first time. However - I can't
|>get my
|>| Cable modem to work properly. It kind of works - in that it let me
|>download
|>| 100Meg of updates from RHN, I can ping anysite, run tracert etc.....
|
| BUT -
|
|>| most of the time, it just does't want to connect to any websites.
|>|
|>| I have tried many settings already, and everything looks fine. I can
|>| activate and disactivate the modem  and watch its lights go on and
|>off, and
|>| as I say, it will transfer data and pings fine. The modem is a Terayon
|>| TeraJet 210, provided by NTL in the UK. It does have an Ethernet port as
|>| well as USB, but for some reason that does not work. For some reason,
|
| the
|
|>| NTL setup (it''s a wireless  link for 512M broadband) doesn't allow it.

|>| cannot get the modem to work via Ethernet to any computer - not just
|
| this
|
|>| one
|>|
|>| On boot, everything looks like the machine has talked to the DHCP
|
| machine
|
|>| and running ifconfig shows eth0 as up and running, and being my cable
|>modem.
|>| Fien so far.
|>|
|>| If I launch Moz, or Konqueror and type in an URL, the modem light
|
| blinks,
|
|>| and it almost looks like the cable modem is getting it's first chunk of
|>| data. Then most of the time, it chokes to a halt. However - sometimes,
|>very
|>| rarely, it works fine and completes the whole page. The success rate is
|>| maybe 1 in 100.
|>|
|>| I've also tried setting up various mail accounts and using other pieces
|
| of
|
|>| internet software to check - and this same behaviour seems to happen
|
| with
|
|>| them all. Almost like whatever server the modem is talking to is
|>allowing it
|>| just to get the first few bytes of the data, then shuts down the
|>| flow.....then the machine just keeps waiting. It doesn't seem to timeout
|>| either.
|>|
|>|
|>| There are a couple of strage things I see that may indicate problems.
|
| The
|
|>| first is that on the boot splashscreen, it says "Welcome to
|>DHCP-XX-X". Now
|>| I thought my localhost name was set to something other than that.
|>|
|>| A little later on, it says "DHCP-XX-X could not be found on the
|
| internet,
|
|>| this will affect Gnome applications.  Adding DCHP-X-X to your
|>/etc/host file
|>| may solve this (although it doesn't seem to)Try again or just continue?"
|>|
|>| Hit continue and everything loads up.
|>|
|>|
|>| The second oddity is that whenever I try to use the Network control
|>panel, I
|>| get the "eth0 has alias to CDCEther in modules.conf instead of currently
|>| loaded CDC Ethrnet Class". However - if i run listmod, it says that
|>CDCEther
|>| IS in fact loaded.
|>|
|>| What's more. This modem works flawlessy in Windows. I was so pleased
|>to get
|>| my linux box up and running so painlessly and really hope that I can get
|>| this bug sorted out as right now I have to reboot to WIndows to send
|
| mail
|
|>| and do usenet....
|>|
|>|
|>|
|>| A little more data to add to the above  if it's any help:
|>|
|>| I changed the startup level to 3 to boot up without X, and now see the
|>| following message every couple of seconds or so.....
|>|
|>| "usb-uhci.c interrupt, status 3, frame XXX"
|>|
|>| This indicates to me that something is wrong with the usb-uhci module
|>? Any
|>| ideas ?
|>|
|>| Any ideas ??  Let me know if any particular log results would be useful
|
| in
|
|>| diagnosing this...
|>|
|>| Thanks.
|>|
|>|
|>|
|>|
|>1. sometimes usb modes have to be changed to work well with linux.
|

| Could you explain this a little more please ?
|

|>2. you could have some kind of DNS problem, do IP addresses work in the
|>browser?

well sometimes in the bios of some motherboards there is a legacy mode
for the usb and non-legacy mode.  one works better than the other in
Linux.  Especially for a mouse.

| Nope - just tried and it's exactly the same problem. In the network config
| though, the DNS are correct (and it must have got these from DHCP as I
| didn't manually put them in. They ping fine as well.

well the #s may be correct and they may ping well, but are they doing
their DNS duties.  Are your problems consistent, could it just be some
flakyness on your ISPs part?

| Cheers,

- --