KDE crashes on start in RedHat 6.2 to 7.2 upgrade

KDE crashes on start in RedHat 6.2 to 7.2 upgrade

Post by Petar Knezevic » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:19:32

I have just upgraded from RH 6.2 to 7.2.  I was using KDE before and now
cannot get it to load.  I use the Gnome display manager in GUI login
mode (runlevel 5).  I am using Gnome now but would like to get back to KDE.

Does anyone know which file/directory permission or which configuration
has to be deleted/modified to get KDE to work on the existing user accounts?

With 6.2, I would just log in with no problems.  Now, the screen changes
color, goes grey and then kicks me out to the GDM login prompt again.  I
have checked out the error messages by using startx from the command
line and see this message:

"...
/usr/bin/startkde: /tmp/KDE.startkde.JYWUeC: cannot overwrite existing file
..."

It also says that I don't have write permission on /tmp but I do.  Even
running as root will give the same error(s).

I created a new account and it works in KDE.  I moved every file and
directory (including hidden) from my home account and then brought them
back one-by-one.  I could get into KDE then using startx.  I then
switched back to runlevel 5 and got the same crash problem when trying
to start KDE from GDM.  Now startx crashes as well.

Post by James Richard Tyre » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:53:05

> I have just upgraded from RH 6.2 to 7.2.  I was using KDE before and now
> cannot get it to load.  I use the Gnome display manager in GUI login
> mode (runlevel 5).  I am using Gnome now but would like to get back to KDE.

> Does anyone know which file/directory permission or which configuration
> has to be deleted/modified to get KDE to work on the existing user accounts?

> With 6.2, I would just log in with no problems.  Now, the screen changes
> color, goes grey and then kicks me out to the GDM login prompt again.  I
> have checked out the error messages by using startx from the command
> line and see this message:

> "...
> /usr/bin/startkde: /tmp/KDE.startkde.JYWUeC: cannot overwrite existing file
> ..."

> It also says that I don't have write permission on /tmp but I do.  Even
> running as root will give the same error(s).

After you upgraded, you needed to remove everything in your: "/tmp/"
directory.

JRT

1. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

Hi all,

This is my first venture into trying to create a (pseudo) embedded
system, so please pardon the naivete.

I am trying to install redhat 7.2 on a Tiny886ULP-X from Advanced Micro
Peripherals (UK).  This is a PC-104+ single board computer with a 666mhz
transmeta, 256mb ram, video, ethernet, a 132mb compactflash on the IDE
as the primary master (looks like a disk), and an ATAPI compatible CDROM.

So, I boot off the CD, and .....

The symptom is that the CD boots fine, but cannot proceed past keyboard
selection. I select English as the language, US as the keyboard, and
then it goes to look for the install files on the CD, and asks me where
to find the installation files, giving me the hard drive as the only
option to install from.

Redhat 6.2 boots and installs fine, with the exception that I can't get
it to install with under 132mb of flashdisk space.  However, it does
find the files on the CD,(it does not prompt for me to show it where the
files are on the hard drive) and allows me to reformat/repartition the
flash-disk and select install packages before it tells me there's not
enough diskspace. So, if I did have enough space on the flash (which I
will soon) I could install 6.2 just fine.

I have been suspecting that the 7.2 boot kernel is trying to do
something fancy with DMA/UDMA on the CDROM, so I have tried booting by
passing the flag "linux ide=nodma" to the boot kernel. This yielded
exactly the same results.

I'd like to get 7.2 up because of the 1394 support in their standard kernel.

Thanks,

Dan

2. ROUTED on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2

3. Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.4.x or Redhat 7.2 ?

4. errors

5. Can I upgrade from rh 6.2 to 7.2 FAQ url needed

6. postscript issues

7. problem upgrading from mandrake 6.2 to 7.2

8. memory allocation in a module serial network driver

9. Help - Upgrading from 6.2 to 7.1/7.2

10. RH 6.2 > 7.2 upgrade and RAID

11. Plugins for Netscape 6.2 and RedHat 7.2 ??

12. What's better - Redhat 6.2 or 7.2?

13. Video console difference between Redhat 6.2 and 7.1/7.2