external cd-rom or dvd-rom for redhat 7.2

external cd-rom or dvd-rom for redhat 7.2

Post by ahal » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:16:57

hello - could anyone recommend an external cd-rom or dvd-rom that will
work under a default laptop installation of redhat 7.2? I have a dell
c610 with W2K installed and wish to install redhat 7.2 and then use
the drive with it. I am assuming that using a PCMCIA or parallel
connection would be easier than configuring USB? and help would be
appreciated. thanks.

Post by Gre » Wed, 01 May 2002 10:30:03

> hello - could anyone recommend an external cd-rom or dvd-rom that will
> work under a default laptop installation of redhat 7.2? I have a dell
> c610 with W2K installed and wish to install redhat 7.2 and then use
> the drive with it. I am assuming that using a PCMCIA or parallel
> connection would be easier than configuring USB? and help would be
> appreciated. thanks.

let me tell you that linux doesn't support DVD's. So I would go with
the cdrom. and if you go with the parallel it will tend to be cheaper.
Also might I ask why are you going with the external cdrom instead of
the internal cdrom?

Greg Hintz

Post by Stephan Woncza » Wed, 01 May 2002 17:19:12

> > hello - could anyone recommend an external cd-rom or dvd-rom that will
> > work under a default laptop installation of redhat 7.2? I have a dell
> > c610 with W2K installed and wish to install redhat 7.2 and then use
> > the drive with it. I am assuming that using a PCMCIA or parallel
> > connection would be easier than configuring USB? and help would be
> > appreciated. thanks.

> let me tell you that linux doesn't support DVD's. So I would go with
> the cdrom. and if you go with the parallel it will tend to be cheaper.
> Also might I ask why are you going with the external cdrom instead of
> the internal cdrom?

  Hmmm... I wonder how I was able to install my RH 7.2 system off an
(intermal) DVD drive then? I did not notice any problems when watching
DVD movies either. :-)
  So, yes, RH does support DVDs, but I am not sure wether it will
support one on either PCMCIA or USB port. Ideas, anyone?

--
                C U, Stephan

   "I haven't lost my mind; I know exactly where I left it."
   "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy"

Post by Gre » Wed, 08 May 2002 19:32:17

> > > hello - could anyone recommend an external cd-rom or dvd-rom that will
> > > work under a default laptop installation of redhat 7.2? I have a dell
> > > c610 with W2K installed and wish to install redhat 7.2 and then use
> > > the drive with it. I am assuming that using a PCMCIA or parallel
> > > connection would be easier than configuring USB? and help would be
> > > appreciated. thanks.

> > let me tell you that linux doesn't support DVD's. So I would go with
> > the cdrom. and if you go with the parallel it will tend to be cheaper.
> > Also might I ask why are you going with the external cdrom instead of
> > the internal cdrom?

>   Hmmm... I wonder how I was able to install my RH 7.2 system off an
> (intermal) DVD drive then? I did not notice any problems when watching
> DVD movies either. :-)
>   So, yes, RH does support DVDs, but I am not sure wether it will
> support one on either PCMCIA or USB port. Ideas, anyone?

Your right you can use your dvd drive in a linux system but you can't
watch dvds...unless they made the program in the last month...

external cd-rom or dvd-rom for redhat 7.2

Post by Stephan Woncza » Wed, 08 May 2002 20:02:16

<snip>

Quote:> >   Hmmm... I wonder how I was able to install my RH 7.2 system off an
> > (intermal) DVD drive then? I did not notice any problems when watching
> > DVD movies either. :-)
> >   So, yes, RH does support DVDs, but I am not sure wether it will
> > support one on either PCMCIA or USB port. Ideas, anyone?

> Your right you can use your dvd drive in a linux system but you can't
> watch dvds...unless they made the program in the last month...

  I thought so, too, until I found out about Ogle. Go to www.rpmfind.net
and search for 'ogle'. You will find a whole slew of rpm's for different
distributions and a link to the author's site, too. Works like a charm;
I was able to view my DVDs without any hitch.
  Another player you might want to check out is Xine. You can also
download rpm's for this on rpmfind. I had trouble playing encrypted DVD
with it, though, but the GUI is much nicer than that from Ogle.
  So Greg, no more excuses for not watching your movies on your box! :-)