Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

Post by Torste » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:54:22

I have Linux Redhat 7.3 and I want to install new packages.
I have inserted installation CD1 and started kpackage. The problem is that
this reads only the packages on this CD and not on the other Redhat CDs.

I have used SuSE Linux before. The configuration program YATS allows to
select packages
which are to be installed. Then it requests to insert the correct CD(s).

How can I achieve this using Redhat?

Thanks,
Torsten

Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

Post by Keegan Al » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 04:24:15

I'd suggest mounting the CD, then going to command-line and go to the
RPM directory on the CD.  Choose the RPM you want to install and use
'rpm -ivh whatever.rpm' to install it.  It'll tell you if there's any
dependants missing, so just install those as needed.

You'll find that in Linux, many things (like this in my opinion) are
much easier when done from command line.

Just a suggestion --

Keegan.

> I have Linux Redhat 7.3 and I want to install new packages.
> I have inserted installation CD1 and started kpackage. The problem is that
> this reads only the packages on this CD and not on the other Redhat CDs.

> I have used SuSE Linux before. The configuration program YATS allows to
> select packages
> which are to be installed. Then it requests to insert the correct CD(s).

> How can I achieve this using Redhat?

> Thanks,
> Torsten

Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

Post by Torste » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:09:32

Quote:> I'd suggest mounting the CD, then going to command-line and go to the
> RPM directory on the CD.  Choose the RPM you want to install and use
> 'rpm -ivh whatever.rpm' to install it.  It'll tell you if there's any
> dependants missing, so just install those as needed.

the problem is that if I start to install one of those packages, they again
need other packages where they
depend on, so I need to install them first, etc etc.
This can result in a lot of manual work which is annoying.

However, when I do the installation from the CD after boot, these
dependencies are
automatically resolved and the missing packages are installed. This is what
I am looking
for - but without the need to boot the machine.

Thanks,
Torsten

Post by Ingo Paklepp » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 05:17:57

>> I'd suggest mounting the CD, then going to command-line and go to the
>> RPM directory on the CD.  Choose the RPM you want to install and use
>> 'rpm -ivh whatever.rpm' to install it.  It'll tell you if there's any
>> dependants missing, so just install those as needed.

> the problem is that if I start to install one of those packages, they
> again need other packages where they
> depend on, so I need to install them first, etc etc. This can result in
> a lot of manual work which is annoying.

> However, when I do the installation from the CD after boot, these
> dependencies are
> automatically resolved and the missing packages are installed. This is
> what I am looking
> for - but without the need to boot the machine.

> Thanks,
> Torsten

You could run rpm with the -F option over all .rpm files. This will do it
all in one fell swoop, and only update packages that you have already
installed:

rpm -Fvh *.rpm

By the way, you may have to reboot anyway if the kernel was replaced.