Compaq Proliant 5500 keeps rebooting RH 7.1

Compaq Proliant 5500 keeps rebooting RH 7.1

Post by News serve » Thu, 30 May 2002 12:21:02

Anyone had problems with RH7.1 rebooting?

All I have to do is start the machine and leave it running and it will
periodically reboot. I do not even have to be using it.

Configuration: 4x450mhz CPUs, 640meg, 2x9.1GB, 4x4GB hotswap drives. Compaq
NIC.

Redhat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-2.

Cannot see anything specific in the logs that might indicate why this keeps
happening. I see messages relating to not having enough MTRRs and rpc
gethostbyname failing and thats about all. This happens with or without the
network connection being up.

Compaq Proliant 5500 keeps rebooting RH 7.1

Post by Doug Holt » Thu, 30 May 2002 22:29:56

Mark;
Not sure about the issue, but have you gotten all you need from the Compaq
site?  They don't support Linux on all their servers.  There might be a
driver or something.  Nice box.  (I presume yours boots the smp kernel.)
Doug

Quote:> Anyone had problems with RH7.1 rebooting?

> All I have to do is start the machine and leave it running and it will
> periodically reboot. I do not even have to be using it.

> Configuration: 4x450mhz CPUs, 640meg, 2x9.1GB, 4x4GB hotswap drives.
Compaq
> NIC.

> Redhat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-2.

> Cannot see anything specific in the logs that might indicate why this
keeps
> happening. I see messages relating to not having enough MTRRs and rpc
> gethostbyname failing and thats about all. This happens with or without
the
> network connection being up.

Compaq Proliant 5500 keeps rebooting RH 7.1

Post by News serve » Fri, 31 May 2002 06:41:12

I have not downloaded any additional compaq drivers for the box. They do not
appear to support this version of the OS on this machine. I have seen people
running this kernel on these boxes though.

I am running the SMP kernel.

Thanks

Mark

> Mark;
> Not sure about the issue, but have you gotten all you need from the Compaq
> site?  They don't support Linux on all their servers.  There might be a
> driver or something.  Nice box.  (I presume yours boots the smp kernel.)
> Doug

> > Anyone had problems with RH7.1 rebooting?

> > All I have to do is start the machine and leave it running and it will
> > periodically reboot. I do not even have to be using it.

> > Configuration: 4x450mhz CPUs, 640meg, 2x9.1GB, 4x4GB hotswap drives.
> Compaq
> > NIC.

> > Redhat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-2.

> > Cannot see anything specific in the logs that might indicate why this
> keeps
> > happening. I see messages relating to not having enough MTRRs and rpc
> > gethostbyname failing and thats about all. This happens with or without
> the
> > network connection being up.

1. no more MTRRs, compaq proliant 5500, RH 7.2

Anyone know a soln. to the problem with mtrrs on the proliants? I have a
machine with 4x450mhz PIIs, system config is set to Linux and RH7.2 is
installed. I have 640mb ram.

During boot I get the following messages in /var/log/messages:

mtrr: your CPUs had inconsistent fixed MTRR settings
mtrr: probably your bios does not setup all CPUs

and later I see:

mtrr: no more MTRRs available

Periodically the system will reboot. The only message I frequently find
around the time of the reboot is "no more MTRRs available".

Thanks

Mark

2. Displaying TLZ10 in physical hardware list

3. Red Hat v7.0 randomly reboots Proliant 5500

4. RehHat AfterStep Config

5. Compaq Proliant 5000 and 5500

6. pcmcia support ?

7. Couldn't recompile Caldera 2.2 for SMP and built-in SCSI for Compaq Proliant 5500

8. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 7684712567

9. SMP with COMPAQ Proliant 5500

10. Installing RH 7.1 on Compaq Proliant 1500 with Disk Array Controller (RAID 5)

11. Installing RH 7.1 on Compaq Proliant 1500 with disk array (RAID 5)

12. RedHat 7.1 + XFree86-4.0.3 + Voodoo5 5500 = No 3D

13. Installing Linux 7.1 on a Compaq ProLiant 1600.