Newbie needs a nudge in the right direction for recompiling the kernel with new drivers

Newbie needs a nudge in the right direction for recompiling the kernel with new drivers

Post by Chip » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:00:29

I am using RH 7.3 with all the latest RPM updates from Up2Date. I want to
add Avaya Wireless LAN capability to my system. The Linux drivers from Avaya
(http://support.avaya.com) download have notes that say I need to recompile
my kernel with the new drivers provided by them. Unfortunately, as far as I
can tell, the notes assume a working knowledge of Linux sufficient to know
how to go about such an undertaking.

I am a relative newbie to Linux but willing to take the adventure. I just
need some help understanding what I am supposed to do. Could you please
point me in the right direction or explain what I need to do to recompile
the kernel with these new drivers?

Thank you!
Chip

Post by Lenar » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:03:12

> I am using RH 7.3 with all the latest RPM updates from Up2Date. I want to
> add Avaya Wireless LAN capability to my system. The Linux drivers from
> Avaya (http://support.avaya.com) download have notes that say I need to
> recompile my kernel with the new drivers provided by them. Unfortunately,
> as far as I can tell, the notes assume a working knowledge of Linux
> sufficient to know how to go about such an undertaking.

> I am a relative newbie to Linux but willing to take the adventure. I just
> need some help understanding what I am supposed to do. Could you please
> point me in the right direction or explain what I need to do to recompile
> the kernel with these new drivers?

> Thank you!
> Chip

To get you started in your quest;

http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/cats/networking.html
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Wireless-HOWTO.html

Questions you need to ask yourself and answer;
Is your network going to be Ad-Hoc or DHCP or Fixed IP?
Wireless Network access to the Internet, Intranet or both?
What is your access point?
   A Wireless AP Router like a Linksys BEFW11S4
   A computer system with a wireless card and a ethernet card

You need to know the answer to at least these questions in order to plan
configure and build your network.

You may or may not need to re-compile anything. Depending on the Avaya
Wireless card(s) you have, they may or not already be supported with
Linux. if they are supported loading the correct driver and configuring
your network access is all that is required.

For example, from; http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

[orinoco_cs driver] [x86,axp,ppc,smp]
3Com AirConnect
1stWave 1ST-PC-DSS11IS, DSS11IG, DSS11ES, DSS11EG
ARtem Onair ComCard STD & EMB versions, 128- & 64-bit
Avaya World Card

The Avaya PCMCIA World Card is supported with Linux using the orinoco_cs
driver. So all you would need to do is add a line in /etc/modules.conf
file that would look something like; alias eth1 orinoco_cs

Newbie needs a nudge in the right direction for recompiling the kernel with new drivers

Thanks Lenard!