newbee needs help getting sendmail to work

newbee needs help getting sendmail to work

Post by JRRadt » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 01:11:29

I have a Rh 7.2 system acting as a file server for LAN made up
entirely of windows 9x machines. The LAN is not connected to the
internet.

I'm not even sure if it is possible but, I am attempting to use the
linux server, running sendmail, for interoffice e-mail between the
windows machines.

I've read many, many help files and posts here on the topic but still
cannot get anythng to pass from the linux server to a windows machine.

Files that I have seen mentioned which may require changes are as
follows:
/etc/hosts =
127.0.0.1  localhost  localhost.localdomain  localhost

/etc/host.allow =
ALL: localhost, localhost.localdomain
sendmail: ALL

/etc/mail/sendmail.mc =
DAEMON_OPTIONS line has been commented out and the
m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf has been run, followed by
service sendmail stop and service sendmail start.
I also tried replacing the Addr=127.0.0.1 with 192.168.1.1 ( my nic
IP#)in this line and re-running the m4 and stopping and starting the
sendmail service

The line FEATURE('accept_unresolvable_domains') has also been
commented out.

/etc/mail/access =
localhost.localdomain RELAY
localhost             RELAY
127.0.0.1             RELAY

/etc/mail/local-host-names =
empty but for comments

I don't know what to try next.

newbee needs help getting sendmail to work

Post by dan sawye » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 05:54:28

I had not tested my config; however it works that way. This
config will distribute mail to the server. The clients can
pick it up 'normally' from there.

I have hosts deny set to ALL to prevent outsiders from
relaying.

Below is my sendmail.mc config. It is setup to relay out and
via fetchmail and procmail to distribute internally.

I found understanding the meta model for sendmail, procmail,
browsers, and fetchmail to be very difficult.

Dan

divert (-1)
dnl This is the macro config file used to generate the
/etc/sendmail.cf
dnl file. If you modify thei file you will have to
regenerate the
dnl /etc/sendmail.cf by running this macro config through the m4
dnl preprocessor:
dnl
dnl        m4 /etc/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
dnl
dnl You will need to have the sendmail-cf package installed
for this to
dnl work.
include(`/usr/lib/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`linux setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl
undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl
define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
define('ALIAS_FILE','/etc/aliases')dnl
define(`STATUS_FILE', `/var/log/sendmail.st')dnl
define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl
define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
dnl define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn')dnl
dnl define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl
dnl define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `5d')dnl
dnl define(`confQUEUE_LA', `12')dnl
dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA', `18')dnl
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
FEATURE(`relay_entire_domain')dnl
dnl We strongly recommend to comment this one out if you
want to protect
dnl yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on
computers that do
dnl not hav 24x7 DNS do need this.
dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

> I have a Rh 7.2 system acting as a file server for LAN made up
> entirely of windows 9x machines. The LAN is not connected to the
> internet.

> I'm not even sure if it is possible but, I am attempting to use the
> linux server, running sendmail, for interoffice e-mail between the
> windows machines.

> I've read many, many help files and posts here on the topic but still
> cannot get anythng to pass from the linux server to a windows machine.

> Files that I have seen mentioned which may require changes are as
> follows:
> /etc/hosts =
> 127.0.0.1  localhost  localhost.localdomain  localhost

> /etc/host.allow =
> ALL: localhost, localhost.localdomain
> sendmail: ALL

> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc =
> DAEMON_OPTIONS line has been commented out and the
> m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf has been run, followed by
> service sendmail stop and service sendmail start.
> I also tried replacing the Addr=127.0.0.1 with 192.168.1.1 ( my nic
> IP#)in this line and re-running the m4 and stopping and starting the
> sendmail service

> The line FEATURE('accept_unresolvable_domains') has also been
> commented out.

> /etc/mail/access =
> localhost.localdomain RELAY
> localhost             RELAY
> 127.0.0.1             RELAY

> /etc/mail/local-host-names =
> empty but for comments

> I don't know what to try next.

newbee needs help getting sendmail to work

Post by Whoeve » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 07:22:19

Quote:> I have a Rh 7.2 system acting as a file server for LAN made up
> entirely of windows 9x machines. The LAN is not connected to the
> internet.

> I'm not even sure if it is possible but, I am attempting to use the
> linux server, running sendmail, for interoffice e-mail between the
> windows machines.

> I've read many, many help files and posts here on the topic but still
> cannot get anythng to pass from the linux server to a windows machine.

Can I suggest that you look at using Postfix instead of Sendmail -- it is
much easier to configure. It should be included in your RH 7.2 distro.

newbee needs help getting sendmail to work

Post by JRRadt » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 23:50:28

Thanks for the replys.
I still cannot get sendmail working.
My Win 9x email progeram is configured as follows:
Receiving on port 110. The server is 'loclhost'
Sending on port 25. The server is 'loclhost'

When attempting to send or receive, I get a "Connection Refused" error.

Post by JRRadt » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:58:35

> Can I suggest that you look at using Postfix instead of Sendmail -- it is
> much easier to configure. It should be included in your RH 7.2 distro.

I could not find the Postfix package on my RH 7.2 disks.

I think sendmail is actually working ok because I can sent mail( as
root) to all the users) then when I login a one of the users, I get
the mail I sent.

I think my problem is not knowing how to correctly configure the
Windows client mail software to connect to the
linux/sendmail/localhost/192.168.1.1/whatever it is.

I bet it'll be a "duh" type of thing when I finally do get it though.

1. newbee call for help getting lvm working

Hi ,
i was trying to get the patch from Anders Gustafsson working in 2.5.20,
but i'm getting  by compilation:
lvm.c: In function `__update_hardsectsize':
lvm.c:2021: warning: implicit declaration of function `get_hardsect_size'
and by make modules_install:
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.5.20-dj3-lvm-xfs2/kernel/drivers/md/lvm-mod.o
depmod:         get_hardsect_size
make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1

it seems that this function is disapeared between 2.5.18 and 2.5.20
(the patch from Anders Gustafsson is against 2.5.18)

can smbd please help me to solve this issue

regards

svetljo

the patch :
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.5/unofficial/v2.5.18/patches/lvm-cle...

and the correspondig text from drivers/md/lvm.c :
static void __update_hardsectsize(kern_lv_t *lv) {
    int le, e;
    int max_hardsectsize = 0, hardsectsize;

    for (le = 0; le < lv->lv_allocated_le; le++) {
        hardsectsize = bdev_hardsect_size(lv->lv_current_pe[le].bdev);
        if (hardsectsize == 0)
            hardsectsize = 512;
        if (hardsectsize > max_hardsectsize)
            max_hardsectsize = hardsectsize;
    }

    /* only perform this operation on active snapshots */
    if ((lv->lv_access & LV_SNAPSHOT) &&
        (lv->lv_status & LV_ACTIVE)) {
        for (e = 0; e < lv->lv_remap_end; e++) {
            hardsectsize =  get_hardsect_size(
lv->lv_block_exception[e].rdev_new);
            if (hardsectsize == 0)
                hardsectsize = 512;
            if (hardsectsize > max_hardsectsize)
                max_hardsectsize = hardsectsize;
        }
    }

-

2. AMD SC520 processor type

3. Need help on getting sendmail to work

4. Slow CD-Rom wake up

5. Help getting sendmail to work with PPP on standalone box

6. hell freezes over

7. Need help getting connected, bootp help needed

8. looking for SUNWcg6h and SUNWxg1h

9. Need help getting Linksys Wireless Ethernet to work with RedHat 7.1

10. Need help getting MIDI to work

11. HELP: Need to Getting the CD-Rom Working

12. Need help getting Samba to work

13. need help getting PPPoE to work