up2date conflicts

Post by Timothy Murph » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:50:57

Up2date has always run flawlessly for me,
but last time I ran it I got the following messages:

package conflict
  /usr/include/kde/babel/catalog.h from install of kdeskd-babel-3.0.5d-3
  conflicts with file from package kdeskd-devel-2.2.2-1
package conflict
  /usr/lib/ktrace.a from install of kdeskd-kmtrace-3.0.5a-3
  conflicts with file from package kdeskd-devel-2.2.2-1

These conflicts did not particularly worry me --
I simply removed babel and kmtrace from my list of desired updates.
However, I do wonder how such a conflict can arise,
and what one is meant to do about it.

As far as I recall, I have only modified packages on this machine
by running up2date .

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

up2date conflicts

Post by Robert M. Riches J » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:28:55

> Up2date has always run flawlessly for me,
> but last time I ran it I got the following messages:

> package conflict
>   /usr/include/kde/babel/catalog.h from install of kdeskd-babel-3.0.5d-3
>   conflicts with file from package kdeskd-devel-2.2.2-1
> package conflict
>   /usr/lib/ktrace.a from install of kdeskd-kmtrace-3.0.5a-3
>   conflicts with file from package kdeskd-devel-2.2.2-1

> These conflicts did not particularly worry me --
> I simply removed babel and kmtrace from my list of desired updates.
> However, I do wonder how such a conflict can arise,
> and what one is meant to do about it.

> As far as I recall, I have only modified packages on this machine
> by running up2date .

I think you mean "kdesdk" rather than "kdeskd".

I would suggest doing "rpm -qa | grep kdesdk" (without the
quotes).  The version numbers should be the same, at least
in an ideal world they should be the same.  I suspect
perhaps the kdesdk-devel-2.2.2-1 is an artifact of an older
installation and didn't get removed during an upgrade.  On
my RH8.0 system fully updated recently (clean install from
bare disk, installed "everything"), I am seeing version
3.0.5a-3 for all "kdesdk-*".  I'm not seeing anything
resembling "kdesdk-devel".

Good luck.

Robert Riches

1. up2date conflicts

I just ran up2date on my RH-8.0 system,
and was surprised to find a number of internal KDE inconsistencies.
I've never had this problem before in 10--20 up2dates.

I'd chosen to update all the listed packages.
I managed to run up2date by removing kdesktop-kbabel
and one other from the list.

The "inconsistencies" which prevented the upgrade
were in C header (*.h) files
which I found very surprising.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

2. Too many symbolic links?

3. Red Hat up2date files in /var/spool/up2date

4. FREE PAGERS! LOOK HERE! NO STRINGS!

5. modem irq conflict after conflicting card removed!

6. server-status? (Apache1.3b6)

7. how to use up2date in console mode

8. Win98-> SuSE6.2 file transfers?

9. RH8, up2date SSL error?