(Newbie) How do I install what I left out 1st time round from CD?

(Newbie) How do I install what I left out 1st time round from CD?

Post by Floyd Whi » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:17:52

Hi I am a newbie and I just installed from bootable CD (text mode)
using Custom. I am wondering how I go back to that same menu I saw
during install time to select something I left out the first time? Do
I just boot from the CD again and select Custom again? Or select
Upgrade? I know I can use RPM, but that means I need to know the
package name etc. I want to install additional from that same menu I
saw during install time, you see, since it is all organized so nicely
in categories.

Thanks in advance!
Floyd

(Newbie) How do I install what I left out 1st time round from CD?

Post by Brett E. Dufaul » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:44:45

Quote:> Hi I am a newbie and I just installed from bootable CD (text mode)
> using Custom. I am wondering how I go back to that same menu I saw
> during install time to select something I left out the first time? Do
> I just boot from the CD again and select Custom again? Or select
> Upgrade? I know I can use RPM, but that means I need to know the
> package name etc. I want to install additional from that same menu I
> saw during install time, you see, since it is all organized so nicely
> in categories.

Your second guess is correct -- boot off the installation CD, and select the
"Upgrade" option.

Cheers!
--Brett

--
There are no fnords in my email address...

Post by James Knot » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:00:30

> Hi I am a newbie and I just installed from bootable CD (text mode)
> using Custom. I am wondering how I go back to that same menu I saw
> during install time to select something I left out the first time? Do
> I just boot from the CD again and select Custom again? Or select
> Upgrade? I know I can use RPM, but that means I need to know the
> package name etc. I want to install additional from that same menu I
> saw during install time, you see, since it is all organized so nicely
> in categories.

> Thanks in advance!
> Floyd

I used the upgrade option yesterday, to install some stuff.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by Scott M. Hoffma » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:48:05

> Hi I am a newbie and I just installed from bootable CD (text mode)
> using Custom. I am wondering how I go back to that same menu I saw
> during install time to select something I left out the first time? Do
> I just boot from the CD again and select Custom again? Or select
> Upgrade? I know I can use RPM, but that means I need to know the
> package name etc. I want to install additional from that same menu I
> saw during install time, you see, since it is all organized so nicely
> in categories.

> Thanks in advance!
> Floyd

If you're using RH 8.0, the use redhat-config-packages.  You can find it
at the menu option 'System Settings->Packages'.  You still see the same
info as during the install.  This way should be quicker as well.

Cheers!

1. X-Login won't work 1st time round...

Heya...
I'm using the X-Window login on my linux box, & hit a fairly strange
problem.  It only started doing it recently, I've no idea what started it.
If I login with my account, straight from bootup, the resolution changes, a
blue screen (my gnome background) comes up, then it exits straight back to
the login.
Second time around, it works fine, & loads up enlightenment / gnome.

If I login as root, it works fine, ditto for logginng in under my name after
root has logged in.  If I had to, I could set up a new non-priveliged (damn,
I *know* thats spelt wrong) user & test with that - I was just wondering if
anyone had a quick answer...

Cheers anyways
Jonathan
Terminal Linux Newbie

2. Installation locks up.

3. RPC time outs at boot time

4. Complete Color Termcap/Terminfo for ANSI

5. Clued newbie: "Leaving DOS -- Where to go?"

6. DIAL-IN with Zoltrix Modem in Linux

7. 1st time installing Linux

8. Help on "Linux Solution"

9. SLS: 1st Time Install